Small scratch in ear. Would like a reply, but it's not an emergency.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amaya

Reaction score
I assume this is somewhat common, but want to be sure and would appreciate any advice to help it to heal. Rocket has a small scratch inside one ear, probably from cleaning his ears. I checked and they are very clean, I don't think it's mites. Also, his nails were clipped recently so they shouldn't be too long, but he will be going in to get them clipped again this Saturday or next (next Saturday will be only 6 weeks since it has been done.)

- Description (Breed, color., weight): Grey Mini-Rex, was at the vet less than 6 weeks ago, was weighed, don't know what he weighed but Beth said that his diet was great and keeping him from being overweight like most of the rabbits she sees.

- spayed/neutered?: neutered

- Notes on Fecal and Urinary Output
- are the bunny's poops and pees normal? yes
- When did they last use their litterbox? minutes ago
- Any unusual behavior? no

- Medical History -- has s/he been to the vet or been sick before? saw the vet a week ago for a regular checkup

- Diet - what does your bunny eat?
- when and what did s/he eat last? timothy hay, right now

- movement - any unusual movements? Is s/he hopping normally? no unusual movements

- are there any plants, chocolate or other substances within reach? no

- has the rabbit been outdoors? no

How bad is it? If it isn't that bad I personally would just let it heal on its own.

I've used plain neosporin in the past with good results. Worked on bites with a bonded pair and Some scratches that Spike gave himself squeezing through a tight spot.

It's not bad at all. maybe 1cm in length, not deep and no inflamation or discharge, just a small red scratch.

Thank you both. :) I may put a tiny bit of neosporin on it, but if he cleans it off immediately after, I'll just leave it alone.

Amaya wrote:
It's not bad at all. maybe 1cm in length, not deep and no inflamation or discharge, just a small red scratch.

Thank you both. :) I may put a tiny bit of neosporin on it, but if he cleans it off immediately after, I'll just leave it alone.
Just make sure it's not the one with pain relief :)

Plain neosporin is good. You may also want to clean it daily with something like betadine. I am a bit concerned that his ear may be bothering him, so just keep an eye on that of course. Even if he gets the neosporin off right after you put it on, you can try to keep him occupied for a few min right after application to let it soak in (petting him, treat, etc).

tonyshuman wrote:
Plain neosporin is good. You may also want to clean it daily with something like betadine. I am a bit concerned that his ear may be bothering him, so just keep an eye on that of course. Even if he gets the neosporin off right after you put it on, you can try to keep him occupied for a few min right after application to let it soak in (petting him, treat, etc).
"":yeahthat:

I'll watch for any problems. :) Thanks for all the advice.

He does scratch his ears pretty often, licks his toes and does it again (he also cleans his ears by pulling them down and licking them a bunch), I don't know how often is normal for scratching, but he always has, this habit hasn't increased. Could there be something wrong other than mites? Sue (owner of rabbit haven, clips his nails) comments every time I bring him in about how very clean he keeps his ears. His vet, Beth, also commented that he did a very good job of grooming his ears when I took him in a few weeks ago for a checkup.

It isn't normal to scratch ears a lot but ocassionally is normal ;

he sounds like he is grooming himself ( pulling down ears, licking feet etc) ; I wouldn't be concerned unless the scratching is excessive

I guess I would be more on the look out for head flicking and any more scratches in the ears. If he doesn't do those, he probably just groomed himself a little too hard that one time.

Okay, I'll watch for that too. If I see any weird head flicking, what would that indicate could be wrong?

He does shake his head, shaking his ears by doing so, in a playful way as if he's laughing or a "you can't catch me" kind of thing, either while running accompanied with a binky jump or stopping to look at me and does it before he's off again. Not scratching his ears these times though.

Amaya wrote:
Okay, I'll watch for that too. If I see any weird head flicking, what would that indicate could be wrong?

He does shake his head, shaking his ears by doing so, in a playful way as if he's laughing or a "you can't catch me" kind of thing, either while running accompanied with a binky jump or stopping to look at me and does it before he's off again. Not scratching his ears these times though.
that sounds like a head motion that can be part of a binky made by a joyful and happy bunny :D

Latest posts

Back