slightly runny nose

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mezeta

Reaction score
I have just noticed Dexter has a slightly wet nose. I have noticed before that wheni have held him without a jumper on my arm has felt ever so slightly damp (hardly noticable) my first thoughts then were that he was maybe drooling slightly so though might be a problem with teth so took him to the vets who confirmed his teeth were fine so I thought no more about it.

I thought earlier it looked a little wet around his nose but looking now it looks fine however he just came and sniffed my face and his nose felt slightly damp. Is this any thing I need to worry about or am I just being paranoid?

Its always good to be on the cautious side :) Does his nose look very snotty or just damp? is the fur on his front paws matted from wiping his face? is he sneezing or sound snuffly? if yes to any of these take him to the vet and get a snot sample taken.

I have a couple of buns that get damp noses but are not snotty sometimes they get it if they have been running about daft and get warm and sometimes if they a re stressed (like a vet trip!!) I also had a bun that would drool something awful on a trip to the vets but never otherwise.

If you are in any doubt it doesn't cause any harm to check it out at the vets and put your mind at rest

Also, is the discharge clear or whiteish around his nose? Any sneezing/wheezing?

Is he eating/drinking/pooping normally?

If its just a small amount of clear discharge and no other symptoms my first step would be to sort rid the room of any allergens that could be causing a problem. Take your hay out and shake out the dust, sift pellets in a collander to remove dust. If youre not already, try a less dusty pellet like Yesterdays News or even Carefresh. Try to remove any air fresheners, perfumes, etc that might be irritating his nose.

If none of that helps and the discharge continues you shouldhave a culture done just to be sure.

Hope he's well soon!

Haley

Thanks, no he isn't sneezing and is eating drinking as normal and seems like his usual self. Paws look clean and nothing around the nose at all now its more when he comes up to me and nudges me it feels slightly damp hardly noticable, going to have a look around see if there is anything could be getting an allergy from. Can't really think of anything as we don't have airfreshners in house except bathrooms and the rabbits don't like going in there because its tiled.

Going to have a look at hay etc now

How is Dexter doing? A slightly damp nose sounds normal for the most part, especially if he was out having a run. (Snuff's gets like that too from time to time.)

I hope he's doing okay;).

Latest posts

Back