Slight Diarrhea/leakage?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My 2 year old 2.5 lb lionhead rabbit, Theo had a bit of what looks like diarrhea stuck in the fur on her rear end. Just for reference, she's a spayed female who shares a large cage with her 1.5 year old daughter. I cleaned Theo's bum up already, and I plan on calling my vet first thing in the morning when they open tomorrow. I just want to know what I should be doing in the meantime. I had her out to play, and I picked her up to trim her nails. When I turned her over on her back, I noticed the diarrhea-like substance stuck in her fur. I had just cleaned out her cage right before this, and I know for a fact that there was no diarrhea in her cage/litter pan. There are no fecal pellets or spots of diarrhea on the floor in the area where I was playing with her, so it seems like whatever it is, it just got all over her fur on her bum. There wasn't a whole lot of it, just enough to get her rear end fairly dirty. It was dark brown and very liquid. When I cleaned it up, I did notice that it looked like there was a bit of lighter colored mucus mixed in with the brown liquid. I did check to make sure it was indeed coming from her bum and not anywhere else. I've had this rabbit since she was 3 months old, and I've never had this problem with her before. any advice? What, other than keeping an eye on her, should I be doing until I can discuss this with my vet tomorrow morning? Thank you very much for any help!

Did you feed her anything that was not'the usual' ..like a different veggie?

if you can get benebac which is a probiotic and give her one dose of this it may help stabilize the gut flora

benebac is a probiotic sold at both petsmart and petco or you can use probios (an equine product) sold at most farm and tractor supply stores...

is she having normal fecal pellets now?

I haven't fed her anything out of the norm. Just her pellets, timothy hay, and a bit of cilantro. I just checked, and all the fecal pellets in the cage look normal so far. I just put her back in her clean cage about an hour ago, so there weren't that many pellets so far to judge by. I will try the benebac and see if that helps.

That's interesting that nothing different is going on with her diet. Production of mucus in the feces usually means some kind of intestinal disturbance is going on, whether it's a reaction to a new food, bacterial imbalance, or the beginning of gas or stasis. It may go away on its own, but I would make sure I have all the GI-related stuff to have in your bunny emergency kit on hand: canned pumpkin puree (if you're in the US, can't really get it elsewhere), simethicone baby medicine (gas med, liquid), pedialyte (unflavored is best), feeding syringes, and probiotic (benebac).

Back