Skin Infection??? (picture of wound included)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phanthao

Reaction score
My friend sent me this photo of her young rabbit, she lately develops this wound in one of her front paw. She brought the rabbit to the vet and the vet said hers is having skin infection and did inject the rabbit a few times but the situation doesn't go up. my friend is really confused and worried and kept asking me but I am not expert in bunnies' health. And the bad thing is that my friend stays in town where rabbits are not popular as dogs and cats, so she only knows one clinic that got vet at least knows how to handle rabbits. So anyone who experienced this with your bunnies before please let me know what illness is it? and how to help the bunny get better when she can't get a good vet around?

Thank you so much!

Here is the photo she sent me:

P1050739.jpg

The rabbit is local breed, around 3~4 month old, feeding alfalfa hay and pellet only

The best approach (I learned this after my bunny Earl died from his skin infection) is to culture the wound to see what type of bacteria it is and treat it with the appropriate antibiotic. A rabbit savvy vet is essential for cases like this.

If culturing is not an option, a broad-spectrum antibiotic that's good for skin issues is Baytril. I would also try to do an x-ray to see if there's any bony involvement and rule out deep infection or a tumor of some sort.

Is the bunny eating, drinking and pooping normally? Also, are there signs that the infection is painful? A pain medicine such as Metacam might be necessary too if the bun seems to be in pain.

pinupchick wrote:
The best approach (I learned this after my bunny Earl died from his skin infection) is to culture the wound to see what type of bacteria it is and treat it with the appropriate antibiotic. A rabbit savvy vet is essential for cases like this.

If culturing is not an option, a broad-spectrum antibiotic that's good for skin issues is Baytril. I would also try to do an x-ray to see if there's any bony involvement and rule out deep infection or a tumor of some sort.

Is the bunny eating, drinking and pooping normally? Also, are there signs that the infection is painful? A pain medicine such as Metacam might be necessary too if the bun seems to be in pain.

Great response !

it is difficult to tell but this possibly could be a mass of some kind.

hopefully you can locate another vet who is more knowledgeable.

Ahh!!
Isee you are in Singapore which may make this more difficult.
let us know

Did your friend specify how the wound came about. I know the vet said it was a 'skin infection', but that could imply a whole range of different things. Did it just randomly appear? How quickly did it progress? Is it bleeding? Any protusions? Pus?

Where does he live? Is it possible that he has been exposed to moist area where microorganisms that could cause bacterial/fungal infections reside? Are there any sharp edges around the floors that he could have cut his foot on, and then an infection set in?
It is possible it could be an abcess, a benign or cancerous growth, or a number of things.

How is the rabbit acting in itself? Eating well? Pooping, peeing? Is he exhibiting his normal behaviours? If not then this could be a sign of something much more complicated and deeper than just a skin infection.

I agree with the pain medication as quite an important point.

Is the vet she took him to quite rabbit savvy? What did the vet say/do? Did they do a culture test? Did they rule out what is wasn't? If they are positive it is just a skin infection then did they say how he could have got it, or any way to avoid this again?

Jen

Oh, man, as soon as I saw the location, I thought this may be difficult. I'm hoping there is a rabbit savvy vet somewhere.

I can't imagine this isn't a painful wound, so I think that pain medication would be essential.

If your friend's vet is open to suggestions, maybe they can take the suggestions of Baytril and Metacam to the vet? In a pinch, I once had to see a non ferret savvy vet and he took my suggestions and researched and we came up with a solution that worked.

Some antibiotics that are available in many places around the world include penicillin G procaine/benzathine (here called Bicillin, injectible only), azithromycin (Zithromax), and chloramphenicol (should not be handled by humans without lab gloves).

tonyshuman wrote:
Some antibiotics that are available in many places around the world include penicillin G procaine/benzathine (here called Bicillin, injectible only), azithromycin (Zithromax), and chloramphenicol (should not be handled by humans without lab gloves).
I did think of that, but not till after I posted and thought, oh, wait...location!

I was hoping that maybe with some research, they could find something similar.

Thanks so much for taking your time replying my post :)

So far the bunny is very healthy, still active and eat a lot, pooping as usual too. The wound just suddenly appears and it has flaky scab that the rabbit keeps biting the scab out.

Singapore's vet so far is fine, we have a lot of clinic major in rabbits, but the bad thing is my friend doesn't stay here, but I think I can get her Baytril and advise from the vet before sending it to her :)

Again, thank you all :D You're great~~~

Back