Single Eye Irritation...Possible Cause?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jenk

Reaction score
Can natural tears cause a bunny's fur to dry/clump together in a stiff manner?

A few days' ago, my Cali Boy's left eye showed signs of tearing. (A small section of fur just beneath it was stuck together, which was driedwhen I'd found it. It was not discolored, possibly having been natural tears.)

Today, it's been tearing again. Thefuris moistbut not discolored; the eye looks okay. Hisright eye is completelyfine.

Is it possible that he's scratching too hard at his eye and causing it to tear? (He needs to have his back claws trimmed and is scratching more at his face/ears again because his next Revolution dose [for mites] is due to be given tonight.

I can no longer make vet appointments willy-nilly and would kick myself if it's not a medical issue but that he'soverly-scratching thatarea due to the mites that he's fighting.

Thank you,

Jenk

He might have something in it (a strand of hay, piece of hay), might be a molar issue, might be the start on an infection.

I had a guy have exactly this last week. I bathed it in cooled boiled water only twice and must have shifted whatever was caught because it stopped watering, but I was planning to do it for a few days (provided it stayed clear) to see whether or not it was something easily sortable before going to the vets. If it goes white then that's some sort of infection which will need possible anti biotics.

Flashy wrote:
He might have something in it (a strand of hay, piece of hay), might be a molar issue, might be the start on an infection.

I had a guy have exactly this last week. I bathed it in cooled boiled water only twice and must have shifted whatever was caught because it stopped watering, but I was planning to do it for a few days (provided it stayed clear) to see whether or not it was something easily sortable before going to the vets. If it goes white then that's some sort of infection which will need possible anti biotics.
I'll see what happens after a few days' worth of wiping/flushing it with cooled boiled water.

I'm on the lookout for any discoloration. So far, it seems to be clear tearscausing the moistened fur. :?

I just checked on him; the fur is now dry (that was freakishly fast) and non-discolored. While he was eating, it seemed that he had it opened less wide than his right eye; but when he was done, it looked entirely normal.

Hopefully he just has something in there annoying it, that he can't shift.

These bunnies are very good at providing us with a source of stress aren't they.

I hope whatever it is is sorted quickly :)

Flashy wrote:
Hopefully he just has something in there annoying it, that he can't shift....I hope whatever it is is sorted quickly :)
I hope for the same thing. But if the issue doesn't stop by this upcoming Monday, he'll be going to the vet. *sigh*
These bunnies are very good at providing us with a source of stress aren't they.
So much so that I've decided that I won't be able to live with bunnies again, after my current three are no longer with me. :( I can't handle the stress and frequent/ insane vet bills. (Nearly $5K/yearly to share my life with bunnies is too high of a price for me.) Plus, I want some semblance ofmy human life back (e.g., being able to take vacations again).

I think you have been VERY unlucky with your current three. So far with mine I have never really had any sort of major problems like what you have had, yes we have had issues, but nothing anywhere near that. Maybe in the future you might decide to have another bunny and it might be incredibly different if its a healthy one.

Flashy wrote:
I think you have been VERY unlucky with your current three. So far with mine I have never really had any sort of major problems like what you have had, yes we have had issues, but nothing anywhere near that. Maybe in the future you might decide to have another bunny and it might be incredibly different if its a healthy one.
Until two weeks' ago, I'd been telling myself that I may one day have bunnies with nomajor bunny health issues. I've finally realized, though,that the only way to ensure such an outcome is to not have rabbits. :(

My hubby loves rabbits; but after all of these issues (and my anxiety being worsened by them), he now says, "No more pets--EVER." He's burned out from the financial aspect; I'm additionally burned out from the psychological/emotional aspect. (I'm the one who keeps track of the vet visits, medicine administrations, and their dietary needs.) I'm just plain tired. :(

I think that dogs and cats are less stressful on so many levels....You can usually board such species without the worry of their digestive system shutting down....

I really feel for you. I think you have seen the extreme side. I truly can relate to the emotional and psychological aspect of owning bunnies though and can underatdn your decision. I just hope that for however long you do have bunnies you do manage to get some joy out of them.

Flashy wrote:
I really feel for you. I think you have seen the extreme side. I truly can relate to the emotional and psychological aspect of owning bunnies though and can underatdn your decision. I just hope that for however long you do have bunnies you do manage to get some joy out of them.
I can't recall what it's like to simply enjoy time and relaxation with animals. :(

Tonight, I spoke with a new bun owner while waiting for prescriptions to be refilled at the vet's office. This woman took ina "free" rabbit that wasn't receiving the proper attention where it had been living. She's had this bun (a NZ) for a few weeks' andhas already spent $300 on her care (and the bills won't stop just yet). It turns out that the bunhas an abcess due to tooth-root issues....I didn't even have the heart to tell her what my hubby and I have paid (financially sacrified) for rabbits' health care....

I think the timing of my convo. with that stranger couldbe a sign that my decision to stick with cats and dogs may be spot on....

Bless your heart :( And bless hers. Very well done for her taking in the bunny though, lucky bunny. Maybe if you want interaction time with buns and don't want to own any, you could volunteer at a shelter or something. That might give you more pleasure because there would be less personal pressure. Kudos to you for not rehoming your current buns though. I just want to give you a big hug but this will have to do.:hug:

Sounds like you've had a bad run with your buns :hug:
Fluffs just had one runny eye, (I think it was a blocked duct) My vet suggested to wipe it twice daily with a VERY mild cooled boiled saline solution. Good luck with clearing it up.

PepnFluff wrote:
Fluffs just had one runny eye, (I think it was a blocked duct) My vet suggested to wipe it twice daily with a VERY mild cooled boiled saline solution. Good luck with clearing it up.

I agree here^^

- Jenk, with this said:

I just checked on him; the fur is now dry (that was freakishly fast) and non-discolored. While he was eating, it seemed that he had it opened less wide than his right eye; but when he was done, it looked entirely normal.
I also wonder if it could have been a mild irritant that passed by.

Spikey fur from being damp is normal since tears do have an ammount of saline in them. However, when it wipes easily and doesnt reappear, or returns to normal its a very good sign.

Discoloration is what you need to look for, discoloration on a continuous basis - a slight irritation or blcked duct could possibly leave a small smear but once naturally flushed away - everything should clear up normally if no infection or problem is present.

Flashy wrote:
Bless your heart :( And bless hers. Very well done for her taking in the bunny though, lucky bunny. Maybe if you want interaction time with buns and don't want to own any, you could volunteer at a shelter or something. That might give you more pleasure because there would be less personal pressure. Kudos to you for not rehoming your current buns though. I just want to give you a big hug but this will have to do.:hug:
Thank you for the hugs, though I'm not certain that I'm deserving of them. In truth, I have, under times of extreme stress, considered rehoming the bunnies.

I laughed a little at your suggestion about me volunteering at a shelter. Not because it's funny (it's a good option for most people), but our home may still havea mite infestation thatstarted with either our third bun (who came from a shelter) or a cheap hay bale that we purchased for him. Suffice to say, this ordeal has been/is hellish in terms of money and time.

What's worse, both of my parents have lowered immune systems. They caught the mites from my home (so their dog and cat also caught them). This was their fourth mite infestation, as lowered immunity makes people MUCH more susceptible to parasites. This time, they sprayed their home, then bombed it. They were still being bitten and, so, have gone into major debt to remove all of their home's carpeting. My mom now saysthat once their current beasties pass on, they'llnever have another pet; it's just too risky for their health. (Granted, she is the one who caught the mites--from my home :(--and brought them into her home. Ugh...)

So to make a very long story short, I'm leery of shelter animals (even though it is possible that the mites were in the hay that I brought home...we'll never know). My mom won't even visit a shelter anymore to drop off supplies; she's that leery. I can't say that I blame her at this point, though.

I don't yet have specific confirmation (until I get the necessary--i.e., pricey--blood work done), but it's suspected that I have an autoimmune disorder. And, of course, stress isn't good such a condition. :( And if my doctor's suspicion is confirmed, that would explain the anxiety that I experience (and which is further fed by bunnies' health issues).

PepnFluff wrote:
It's been a very rough 1.5 years of first-time rabbit ownership, yeah. I do enjoy my time spent with them, but there's a constant ticker-tape of worry running in the back of my brain.

Not to sound like a complete dope, but I'm only familiar with saline solution coming in tiny bottles (i.e., eye drops). Do drug stores really sell larger amounts of saline solution? Or did you somehow create your own?

Thank you for the hug and the wished luck; I can always use both. ;)

Leaf wrote:
I also wonder if it could have been a mild irritant that passed by.

Spikey fur from being damp is normal since tears do have an ammount of saline in them. However, when it wipes easily and doesnt reappear, or returns to normal its a very good sign.

Discoloration is what you need to look for, discoloration on a continuous basis - a slight irritation or blcked duct could possibly leave a small smear but once naturally flushed away - everything should clear up normally if no infection or problem is present.
It's not passed by just yet (alas).

I wiped his eye twice yesterday with cooled boiled water (and tried to find the possible cause of irritation--no go). I gently wiped down his lower lashes, in case any of them have been poking into his eye.

I see a little bit of spikey fur under his eye this morning, so this issue isn't entirely solved.*sigh*

Benji's eyes tear quite often, and it causes the fur under his eyes to get matted.
He's very sensitive/allergic to dust, and most probably has narrowed or restricted tear ducts too.
When it gets bad, I use warm compresses of chamomile tea 2 or 3 times a day.

When we turned the heat on for the first time this year, his eyes ran for a week.......the heat duct is right over his cage. :(

I sift his pellets, and make sure his hay is as dust free as possible.

I also run a HEPA filter 24/7 in the bunny room.

You can find larger bottles of saline solution with the contact lens care supplies.
I buy 12 oz. bottles at the CVS.

Home treatment should be ok, as long as there's no sign of infection or injury.

JimD wrote:
Benji's eyes tear quite often, and it causes the fur under his eyes to get matted.
He's very sensitive/allergic to dust, and most probably has narrowed or restricted tear ducts too.
When it gets bad, I use warm compresses of chamomile tea 2 or 3 times a day.

When we turned the heat on for the first time this year, his eyes ran for a week.......the heat duct is right over his cage. :(

I sift his pellets, and make sure his hay is as dust free as possible.

I also run a HEPA filter 24/7 in the bunny room.

You can find larger bottles of saline solution with the contact lens care supplies.
I buy 12 oz. bottles at the CVS.

Home treatment should be ok, as long as there's no sign of infection or injury.
Hay dust is a distinct possibility, especially since my bunners currently get Oxbow hay (which we all know is very dusty).

I've long wanted/needed a good air purifier, since I have allergies (and physically-induced asthma). One of these days...

I will find/buy saline solution tomorrow, since I'll be at Walgreen's to pick up my own prescriptions.

Re: your final comment: I've looked for a sign of injury but see nothing amiss. (Mind you, I could be overlooking something that a vet's diagnostic tool/s could easily find.)

Meanwhile, I'll keep a lookout for any discoloration (or thickening) of my big guy's eye discharge....And I'll worry/stress more about his eye (and Zoe's imbalanced gut flora...and Emma's current/early signs of stasis).

All the above sounds really good Jenk! One thing I will add though is that if you are going to wipe/flush the eye with saline I would only do it a few times and then leave it to see how it goes. More contact with the eye that is necessary may actually cause irritation so you have to be careful to avoid that.

He should be ok by following the good advice in this thread, I think you are doing really good Jenk and that he will most likely not need to see a vet about it. Keep us posted however if anything changes.

dquesnel wrote:
One thing I will add though is that if you are going to wipe/flush the eye with saline I would only do it a few times and then leave it to see how it goes. More contact with the eye that is necessary may actually cause irritation so you have to be careful to avoid that.
Excellent point. I'll temper myself, flushing his eye no more than three times over as many days.
He should be ok by following the good advice in this thread, I think you are doing really good Jenk and that he will most likely not need to see a vet about it. Keep us posted however if anything changes.
Despite my stress (expressed as griping), I'll make a vet visit happen if he really needs it. (But I'm still hoping that he won't need it.:?)

Latest posts

Back