Silly Q

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeckyH20

Reaction score
Ok... I know this may sound like a really silly question, but I'm wondering if my Muffin is spayed. I was not the one who purchased her, but the people who gave her to me told me she was.

I ask because the other day she met my boyfriend's cat for the first time. All was going amazingly well actually and the two seemed to really hit it off. Then while holding Muffin I noticed her "area" was quite inflammed. Would this still happen if she was spayed?

Sorry it sounds so dumb... I just am so not a bunny anatomy expert.:huh

If you took your rabbit to the vet, I'm sure they could answer that.

Hopefully someone has something better to say than me with more advice...

Megan

Hmm, I would say take her to a good rabbit vet and ask. I have never had that situation come up before, I pretty much know for a fact that none of these rescues I have would have been spayed. I would think there would be some kind of scar, but it might be small enough to make it hard to find.

Hmm, I don't think that a rabbit's vaginal area should look inflamed even if she was NOT spayed... it acutally might be a sign of something else - urine burn, and infection of some sort. Does it still look red and inflamed now?

It has gone down since I've gotten home considerably. I can't say I frequently check her "area" as it kind of weirds me out a bit, but I wasn't really looking for it when I noticed it either. She likes tummy rubs a lot so I think I would've noticed it before if it was a sign of sickness or something.

As far as spaying, its very difficult for even a vet to tell unless they can see the scar when they shave the tummy.

I'd keep an eye on her genital area as it could be a sign of something else (as Nadia mentioned).

Does she have any small tattooed spots in either of her ears? That's how Marshall marks their animals, which they sell spayed/neutered to pet stores. I've heard about this more with their ferrets but it sounds like they do the same thing with rabbits too.

Muffin is a true angora... even if she had tattoos they'd be hard to find. Thanks for all the tips guys!

If I find out she isn't spayed, is is absolutely necessary that she get spayed? She is a great bunny who is actually really friendly. Is it ok just to leave her alone?

Yes, female rabbits do need to be spayed for health reasons. They are highly at risk for ovarian cancer if not spayed (its over an 80% chance of ovarian cancer by the time theyre 3).

Remember that lionhead Cmh adopted from Angieluv's shelter? She was a Marshall bunny, had the tattoo in her ear (I think it's just one or two little dots), and was already spayed. So yeah, they do lionheads now. :grumpy:

Latest posts

Back