Signs of not wanting to mate?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NZminilops

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

My friend Charlie has started a very small dwarf lop rabbitry (5 does and 2 bucks to begin with) but doesn't have access to the internet at this current time. He tried mating 1 doe to 1 buck about 2 weeks ago and she seemed to like this buck and did not struggle or run away from him, but Charlie isn't sure if the mating actualy took place or not as the buck was young and didn't seem to hit the right spot, if ya know what I mean (wet patch on her back afterwards).
He then tried the same doe with the other older, more experienced buck who was super keen but she was making a horrible long grunting/oinking/growling noise the whole time and turned around, bit him, ran away and just thumped once every 2 seconds for about 10 minutes.

Is this a sign that her previous mating did indeed take place, or do you think she just did not like the buck or was in a grumpy mood? Thanks to anyone who can help Charlie with this one :bunnydance:

Sometimes the more experianced bucks will be rough on the does, and rip their fr out and scratch on top of their backs and what not, and that'll cause the does to grunt. The question from me to you is, Did the buck grunt and fall of her back? This is a sign of a successful mating. Usually, I do this two times in the day I'm breeding my does to get max litter size.

With the younger buck, how old is he? four months and older is ideal breeding time. Has he ever been exposed to a doe before? If not, I would put him in the doe's cage and put the doe in his cage overnight so they learn each other's scents. Not now, though, because if you bred the doe to the older buck, she probably will be expecting to kindle in about 31 days. Good Luck!

Even though the buck may grunt and fall off her back does not suggest that it was successful or that he even reached the "target".  I have a buck that constantly misses. If you turn her over and "sex her"  you should see some semen there.  If she is dry when you sex her and there is nothing there, then the buck missed.

Sharon

Wow, I've heard of that, but I didn't think it was true. I learned something ;) My bucks must have pretty good aim. I've had over ten litters in a row, lol!

Latest posts

Back