Sick Rabbit - not acting normal!! (RIP)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicolevins

Reaction score
A few days ago I noticed my rabbit acting a little different.. I know rabbits hide the sick-ness very well so we are bringing him to the vet tomorrow night. The vet we go to is only open Monday & Thursdays and the receptionest said that they rarely see rabbits.

Today I noticed:

White gooey stuff where he goes toilet.

Cecal Pellets around his 'area'.

His poo is a bit smaller.

He SLIGHTLY tilts his head but I dont think it is head tilt.

anyone knwo what could be wrong??

Is the white gooey stuff coming from the urinary tract and just coating the poop or is he actually pooping white gooey stuff?

ETA: Normally white gooey output is bladder sludge, so if that's the case, he needs fluids including liquids he can drink and wet fiber like veggies soaked for awhile in water, and ultimately fluids administered under the skin by a vet (who can also show you how to do this yourself), and probably a bladder 'flushing'. He may get antibiotics if there's sign of infection (common with bladder sludge). Natural cranberry juice will also help (no sugar added, although a brand mixed with another fruit juice is okay).

The cecals and smaller poos will happen whenever a rabbit isn't feeling well.

The tilt is concerning if its a sign of a systemic infection. He'd need emergency antibiotics and fluids, but that will be a vet's call.

Meanwhile try getting liquids into him, like baby electrolyte replacement drink -- Pedialyte here, I forget what its called there. In a pinch you can use Gatorade, but its pretty sugary.

Please update when you can.

sas :pray:

Yeah, white gooey stuff isn't good. If it's coming from his GI tract, it could be a sign of a bacterial imbalance that needs immediate attention. A mucoid enteritis-type infection can kill a rabbit in under 24 hours.

If it's coming from the urinary tract, it is probably sludge. And Pipp had a good explanation of that, plus some things to help.

Sludge will be more gritty and less goopy than mucous.

Definitely use some Pedialyte/Dioralyte in UK--give at least 10 mL. Feed by mouth with a syringe. If he won't take it at all, that's not good. I also find my guys like the unflavored one with a touch of grenadine added. Since there's a possibility that he has a bacterial GI imbalance, Gatorade is just too risky right now--too much sugar (which causes the bad bacteria to proliferate even more).

If you have it, pumpkin puree is good.

About the tilt: I worry that he's developing an upper respiratory infection because of his immune system being weak from whatever this current problem is. The vet should do a culture and sensitivity test on anything he can swab out of his ear.

tonyshuman:

It was either myth-a-mo-toe-sis (i dont know how to spell so i tried to sound it out) or else it was head tilt. That's what the vet said. The vet also said he does have a 'upper respiratory' infection and that he should get better. But...

When we were in the vet, and George(the rabbit) got a needle. I also got tablets to feed him mixed with water in a syringe. I gave it to him this morning. I lay him down on a comfy chair and I got a banana and an apple. I gave him a small piece of each and he didn't want it. I went to put the banana and the apple in the bin and when I came back he was slighty shaking. I picked him up and then his head fell to the side. I was worried he was dead. I checked was he breathing but he wasn't breathing. That's when I realised he was dead. I was + still am really upset over it. I have another rabbit Jenni. Shes ok though. R.IP george.. xx

I'm so sorry you lost George. If it was myxomatosis, there was really nothing you could do. I'm sorry I didn't mention that disease as a possibility, but we don't have it in the US so I always forget that bunnies in the UK can be exposed to it. There is a vaccination for myxi, but it doesn't prevent the bunny from getting it, it just makes it possible for the rabbit to survive if they catch the disease. You might think about having Jenni vaccinated, but I would wait a few weeks, because if she has been infected, the vaccine might cause a serious immune reaction. With the speed with which George deteriorated, it sounds a lot like myxomatosis.

You did a wonderful job of getting him help, but at that point I think it was just too late. Myxi is a dreadful disease. I'm glad that he got to spend his last moments at home with you. Binky free, George.

tonyshuman wrote:
With the speed with which George deteriorated, it sounds a lot like myxomatosis.

I'm not sure where this sounds like Myxi, which actually progresses quite slowly, or at least over the course of eight to 14 days -- although there are periods of normalcy in there.

Were his genitals swollen? Any swelling around the eyes/face? Feet?

Did you determine where the white gooey stuff was coming from?

The vet honestly doesn't sound very knowledgeable, 'head tilt' is just a symptom of something else, not a cause. And from the post, I don't see anything to indicate Myxomatosis.

If he had a respiratory infection, as Tonyshuman says, it could also have been something caused by his immune system being compromised. The answer really depends on the origin of the goo, but I'd guess it was either a bladder issue like sludge or an ear or respiratory infection that wasn't treated in time, or with strong enough meds.

Bunnies are their own worst enemies because as you said, they hide their illnesses so well. By the time they're acting 'a little different', they're often pretty sick.

It's not always possible, but at the slightest sign of head tilt, I recommend trying to get the rabbit to ANY vet but go armed with print-outs from reliable sources with the treatment most likely to work -- immediate injected antibiotics and fluids. The vet may still have to be convinced, but its worth a try.

You really did do everything you could, you seem well educated in rabbit care. I wish more vets were.

Sorry for your loss.

sas :(

Oh geez, well again I've shown that I don't know anything about Myxi. I thought it was fast, because it's so deadly.

I guess I need to do some reading. Sorry.

we're so sorry for your loss of George. Sometimes, no matter how we strive, they still go to the bridge. You tried your best and he know love and had a good home--not all bunnies are so lucky. Rest in peace little man and binky free.

Thanks everone for your concern. His head seemed a little swollen. Jenni seems ok, but has the snuffles!! We wil have to try get her to a private vet who knows aot about rabbits.

Once again, thanks, and I hope George has a great time in Bunny Heaven with lots of binky bunnies!!

RIP miss you lots george xox

Latest posts

Back