Sick Honey

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dainerra

Reaction score
Poor Honey is still acting sick. I had him checked for worms at the vet's, since his only symptom was losing weight. His appetite is good, drinking normally, but he was thin. Vet chalked it up to the rapid changes in the weather as all his physical signs were normal. Eyes, bright, activity level normal, heart rate good, etc. This was on Thursday. Parasite screening was negative, weight was 1 lb 8 ozs. His usual weight is just under 2 lbs, varies a bit.

Today when I went to feed, he is acting lethargic. Appetite is still good though, gave him his morning greens and he ate like no tomorrow. I don't have a scale at home right now, but I can tell that he has lost more weight. Eyes are still bright, actively checking things out, etc. but if you come from the side and give him a gentle touch, he just falls over. He lays there for a second than gets up. I've put up a light for him since he feels cold to the touch.

Anyone have any ideas? He is eating approx 1/4 - 1/2 cup of Purina premium pellets, has constant access to timothy hay as well as greens given once a day. The other 2 buns are on the same diet and are still fat and happy

Well there is something definitely going on as falling over is not normal. :(

How old is he?
Is he drinking excessive amounts of water . ?

I would suggest getting labwork done on him to see if his organs are functioning normally.
I had a rabbit drinking and eating excessively, bright eyed but losing weight and growing weak ; he had kidney issues.
At this point it could be almost anything
you need more diagnostics
Also Parasites do not always show up in thefecal exam due to the cyclical nature of the eggs .

if he continues to feel cold I would continue your efforts to warm him up.

let us know :hug:

no, not drinking excessively. I was just coming on to post. He has definitely perked up under the lamp, getting back his usual attitude. I went down to check on him and he stomped at me when I went to pick him up.

they drew blood, said all was normal with his values. will get him back in in the morning.

I was afraid that he wasn't going to make it through the morning, but I'm hopeful now that he is closer to his usual self.

How old is he? Has the vet done any full-body x-rays? You didn't mention if he's pooping normally, is he? It might be a good idea to try an antiparasitic just in case there are internal parasites there but the fecal tests were done at a point in the parasite life cycle that they aren't shedding eggs in the feces. The only other options for unexplainable weight loss are not good, ie cancer, major organ dysfunction. A de-worming with Panacur is cheap, usually well tolerated, and may be able to save you from some more costly diagnostics (like x-rays, ultrasound) to determine if it's cancer.

I have to wait until tomorrow to take him to the vet, the bunny expert is out till then. he is pooping normal, drinking lightly, but he has been getting fresh wet greens, so I know he will drink less.

He is an "eater" so I will ask about the x-rays to make sure that he has ingested anything. though not too likely since he is pooping normally.

Latest posts

Back