Sick bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theilian

Reaction score
I had a real scare yesterday.

When I got home, Manny was sitting still near her litter box.Underneath, there were a lot of loose stool. She sat there croucheddoing nothing much with eyes half closed. I don't think she ateanything. At one time, she had loud coughing, but just once.

By this morning, shewas much better. She's now moving around,grooms herself (still dirty in her feet and bottom) and more like herold self. But still I don't think she's eating much.

Maybe I gave her too much watermelon. She liked it so much. Or could it be something else?

Probably too much watermelon. Watermelon is fullof sugar and needs to be given in moderation, no matter how muchshe likes it. Rabbits have no self control when it comes to treats anddon't know better, giving too many will do more harm than good!

I agree -- probably too much watermelon which hertummy isn't used to digestive. Use caution in the future --feeding such treats in large amounts can be fatal.

Pam

Welcome theilian,

Certainly agree with the others about the watermelon. Youwant to be careful of fruits and vegetables/greens for just that reasonand reasons of high sugar content not being good for their digestivesystem.

Hope all is cleared up by now. Generally when rabbits stoolis loose, feeding them grasshay (Timothy Hay) and old fashioned QuakerOats will help to get them back to consistency.

You have to be very careful they don't dehydrate when that happens. Even if you have to syringe-feed water to them.

-Carolyn

Thanks all, diarrhea bout is over and Manny isnow running around. However, since the diarrhea, I noticed that Manny'sdroppings are smaller. Is this normal?

You might try giving him some dried papaya orfresh pineapple in case there's some blockage that the hay didn't cleanout.

Is he back to eating his normal amounts?

-Carolyn

theilian wrote:
Thanks all, diarrhea bout is over and Manny is now runningaround. However, since the diarrhea, I noticed that Manny's droppingsare smaller. Is this normal?
She's probably slightly dehydrated and should be back to normal within 24 hours if drinking and eating normally.

Pam

Couldn't agree more, Doc. I strongly suspect dehydration as well.

-Carolyn

Latest posts

Back