Sick Babies

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nelson_is_mine

Reaction score
I went to the feed store I frequent, and, as is in my routine, I went to visit the bunnies. After saying hello to the two year old lion head just surrendered, I went to greet the babies who came in about two weeks ago. There were like three liters of them, Jersey and Nethie crosses and they were extremely cute. Now about five of them are left and in one of the cages, where two of them were, I looked in their litter box and was horrified. It looked almost like goose poop in there. I went to my friend, who has been working there for about two years, and asked her when was the last time they had hay. She said that morning, but it didn't help much, as they'd been having poop like that for the past day or two. She gave them more hay, and when all of the other customers were out of the room, she confided that they'd lost five of the bunnies from the huge mass and she wasn't sure they'd make it without an intervention from the vet. She also explained that no one would take them because people are idiots, but they can spot a funny looking poop.

So I'm going to try to convince my parents to let me take them in and get them to a vet (with the intention of rehoming them), but I don't have much hope in that. In the meantime, is there anything I can tell my friend to do to help the bunnies? I think I'm going to bring in pumpkin and syringes for the other bunnies (they had small poops) and I would like to help the goose poop bunnies too. Before it's too late, preferably.

thanks!

Bless your heart. You may be facing something like coccidia or something else catching, so think carefully before bringing them in and also make sure you scrub yourself before going near your own, when you get home.

You could take pedialyte so that the goose poop ones can be hydrated.

They need lots and lots of hay and most importantly a vet.

You might also want to think about calling and reporting them because that way they will get intervention and should get the help they need.

I agree with Flashy that cocci is likely. Overcrowding, stress or a viral infection has possibly led to the rabbits developing coccidia infections. A fecal test should be done and those baby rabbits should not be offered for sale at this time.

Pam

I talked to my boss (I work at a vet's office) and she agreed that it is probably a paracite (she didn't mention coccidia, but I only talked to her for about two minutes) and that they needed to be seen by a vet.

The store is usually good about not putting animals up for sale that are sick (in fact, they take really good care of the animals) but my friend said that they were like that when they got them from the breeders. I'm actually hoping that they remain up for sale so I can convince my parents that they need me (one down, one to go). I'd keep them in the spare bedroom (Nelson is in my bedroom) and wash my hands and change clothes before touching Nelson. If I can convince my dad (he's not really into the whole "bunny scene"). I think these babies need attention and if I can't give it I hope whoever gets them can.

I think it's also standard if one pet in the household is treated for parasites, all the pets are? It might just depend on what it is, though. My friend's dog had worms and they had to treat their other dog for it too, even though the stool sample came up negative. If I get the babies, I'll ask about putting Nelson and the dogs on it too.

All I could think about since yesterday were the poor sick babies having to deal with kids sticking thier fingers through the bars of their cage all day. I hope none of the other bunnies in the place catch it! Keep them in your prayers, please.

The store will need to really scrub that cage when the bunnies leave, and also stop buying from that breeder because he will probably keep selling ill animals.

If you do take them you will need to properly quarantine them until the treatment is finished and beyond.

The store would probably be best to treat all rabbits and anything else that can get whatever parasite it is otherwise it will just be passed around and they will not get rid of it.

I hope the store listen to you and do something to help these poor babies.

I went back to the store today and showed the bunnies to my mom. She agreed that they looked sick, then confessed that she didn't really study rabbit poop so she didn't know that it was funny. She was worried that they were so much smaller than the other rabbits from the litter (there were two left housed in a nieghboring cage) and how they didn't seem to have the same energy, as the others were doing the bunny 500s in a 1.5x1.5 foot cage. It was quite amusing. They were binkying like crazy too. Too cute.

The bunnies in question, however, just layed in the back and accepted my pets graciously. They just looked sad when I tried to entice them into playing and I could have cried and taken them to the vet right then, just walked out with one in either hand and then into the vet without an appointment (what a rebel). My parents said they would talk further about maybe fostering them. I think I have my mom on my side for now and my dad is still on the "write a strongly worded letter" track.

If I get the babies, I'll probably confirm whatever illness they have before sending them a letter. I think that it would be better to have a definite answer and suggest a plan of action to treat the other bunnies than: I think that these guys might be sick. If I get a definite "no" though, I'll send an email the moment I know that I'll never win the fight.

Back