Shy Little Cleo

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phinnsmommy

Reaction score
Well, ever since Cleo came to us (3 months ago) she has bee super shy.

She only lets me pet her when her head is buried under Phinns tummy (aw).

She lets me hold her, and is really good about that, but getting her is the problem. If I put my hand in the cage to get a food bowl etc, and she runs to the other side.

And they have a "door" that they use for run around time, so its not like I am constantly lifting her out of her cage.

When I hand them treats through the cage bars, she acts like a fish on bait, going at it, then taking back fast, then going at it and on and on until she takes it.

Sometimes when I am giving Phinn noserubs through the cage bars, she comes up and I pet her nose too, but as soon as I pet her, its almost like an electric shock is sent to her, and she jumps back.

What worries me is that Meghan (her foster mom) said that she would run up to her for pets when she was at her house.

She's happy, and thats what matters, so im not too worried about it.

Is it something im doing wrong? :(

What was her past like? Was she in a shelter? How many homes has she had?

I would just give her more time. It can easily take 6 months or more. Sounds also like she's a bit territorial about you reaching in the cage. She just doesn't like it too much;). I don't think you're doing anything wrong, I just think she needs more time to learn to trust;).

Roxie is kinda like that. I give her a treat and then she sprints away. Maybe it has to do with shelter bunnies because Rox was from a shelter to. They did not tell us about her past. Buddy will always run up to you but does not like to be held.

EDIT TO ADD: you could also lay down in there playpen outside with treats in your hand. Try to ingnore Phinn (which will be hard) and make her come to you to get the treat. Gently pet her and tell her what a good girl she is etc. . . .Hope this works!

Ebony is like that in her house, and I've had her for her whole life. But when she comes inside she's so different - comes bouncing up wanting pets and attention.

Like the others said - just give Cleo more time to learn to trust you, and hopefully she'll change a little at a time. :)

Latest posts

Back