Shy Bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Allysmom

Reaction score
I adopted Ginger my 10 month old rex rabbit from my local animal shelter last week. She was an owner dropoff they lost their home and couldnt take her to the apartment they rented.She was very curious and friendly at the shelter she hopped in my lap and was enjoying being rubbed. She had been there since just before halloween. I brought her home and she has her cage in my office so its quiet and away from my territorial Ally ( my other female bun). I have no other pets and i am wondering if there is a time period like cats dogs etc to adjust. She seems to have lost her personality. I let her out to run in her x-pen but she runs like a maniac she doesnt seem to be very happy or curious anymore. Am i doing something wrong. I have kept her to the schedule the shelter had her on. She never got any out of cage time there.

She is scheduled for a spay on the 23rd of this month along with Ally who I have had since the beginning of November. Do you think this will help her relax at all.I keep my entering into her cage at a minimal i let her go in and out on her own. I dont think im doing anything wrong?!?!?

Any advice would be greatly appriciated.

She will have had a lot of upheaval and so will feel insecure. So she will take longer to adjust to a new home than abun who has not been surrendered. she may also not be liking the smells of the other animals in your house.

When getting a rescue rabbit it is so important to remember that they come with so much baggage. Give her time, and be patient with her. You sound like you're doing ok, and in time she will come round.

There is an article in the Bunny 101 forum called 'Bonding with your Bunny' and it might be worth reading that because it might help give you ideas for how you can bond with her.

I think that she is just adapting to the sudden change...
I would just let her take her time ; it sounds like you have a nice set up for her.

Many times a rabbit's personality at a shelter is not the personality that they will display on entering yet another new environment. This is now another 3rd change for her.
having her spayed is a good thing and will only help her in terms of her physical and emotional state.

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=12051&forum_id=17
http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=33995&forum_id=17

Well my only other pet is my bunny Ally who lives on the otherside of the house through the kitchen through the laundry room down the hallway and in the farthest bedroom away. ?!?! Ally only goes into the kitchen and living room to cuddle with me at night. Ally is also a rescue who has been changed aorund im her 3rd home. But she took right to me. I guess i was hopeing Ginger would do the same. Ginger is much sweeter and quieter. I will read the artice. Ginger really is a wonderfull bunny i feel like i have made her so unhappy since hes not the same bunny i adopted. She seems so scared. :dunno....

As soon as she is litter box trained this will be her bedroom and she will get to go in and out of her cage as she pleases and able to explore the rest of the house. Ally was only ever allowed in one room at her last home and before that only her cage. So she pretty much ventures outto sit with me but when i say bedtime she run hops back to her room.

I hope by spaying ally she will become less territorial. I want to introduce both the buns in my room (neutral territory) and hope they hit it off. But i am not going to do that till i have red more on the topic and dont feel like i am stressing them out.

I have read all the inormation and it was great. Thank you all for your help. I sat this morning and held out a mustard green and it took 20 minutes but she came out and nibbled. And i almost cried she finished eating the entire leaf and crawled in my lap. She started to lick my arm i reached to pet her and she stood up on her back legs and looked right at my face. Then she sat back in my lap and moved to her side. She layed with me for the last 30 min and then decided to investigate the room. (yay the bunny i adopted is back) right now she is playing in a paper bag on the floor across the room but pausing to see where i am at. Lol!

I will post a picture of her in a bit i dont want the camera to scare her.

:mrsthumper::hugsquish:

It is an amazing feeling when they come to you. More so when you work at it.

Here she is eating her mustard greens, parsley, spinach, and carrotts.

I figured a picture in her cage would be less stressfull.

daycarelicensing.jpg

Latest posts

Back