Show Rabbit Nutrition Write Up

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GoinBackToCali

Reaction score
Thought I would throw in my 2 cents, might be beneficial to somebody else.

For my show rabbits...

In the morning they get

1/4 cup crimped oats/barley 50/50 conditioning mix with black oil sunflower seeds

(My conditioning mix is contains 50% crimped oats + 50% crimped barley + 7-10 sunflower seeds per cup. however, you start off feeding 1/4 cup for 4 bunnies then over 7 days work up to 1/4 a cup each.)

1 tablespoon Doc's Rabbit Enhancer

(1 tablespoon for 4 buns then over a week work up to a tablespoon each)

Some people give a teaspoon of pure calf manna to their buns, I do not because I feed Petrus 700 B with Calf Manna.

Personally, I haven't been doing show rabbits long, on my own anyway, I have been doing them for about 5 years (showing other peoples for them), on my own, a little over a year, and since I have been doing things this way, the only way I have been beat, seriously, is if I am up against New Zealand's, and the judge just happens to be a New Zealand Lover. I show exclusively Cali's. Even then, the few times that has happened, all my Cali buns have taken the first places occupied by something OTHER than a NZ. In EVERY instance, the judge has made a huge deal about their coats, the sheen and softness.

Mine also get a 4 way acid pack in their water, which is slam full of vitamins and electrolytes. It is essential for babies and nursing mothers, I wouldn't be without it.

Something else, which I don't actually know if this applies to other breeds, and I don't actually know if it is true, but what I do know, is at the show table, all of my Cali's noses and ear marking's are almost pitch black. They are given a carrot every day. I am told the beta carotene does this. Like I said, I don't know if it is true. But I do know, I can pick my buns out from every one else's, by site alone, not by ear tags, so it is a theory I am not willing to disprove.

For some of my buns who are a bit on the picky side, they get the crimped oats/barley/sunflower mixture with the addition of wheat germ oil and cheerios. BUT a dab will do ya on the oil... you can not only blow there coats, you can give em the bunny runs...and the Cheerio's can slap on weight, they are usually only reserved for underweight bun's who need to make weight.

This concludes my current show rabbit write up... if I think of more.. I will post it.

Zin

Latest posts

Back