'Show Quality'

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erins Rabbits

Reaction score
When you sell rabbits, what do you advertise as 'show quality'? What does 'brood quality' mean to you? Do you ever mark rabbits as 'pet' quality, and if so, why?

Show quality, to me, means that the rabbit is free from DQ's and is of exceptional type.

Brood Quality, to me, means that the rabbit may have minor DQs that are NOT genetic, or minor faults that prevent it from winner. Perhaps it is an unshowable color, or just has poor type overall.

Pet Quality, to me, means that the rabbit has severe but not health related DQs, is a mutt, or does not represent it's breed properly.

I would pretty much agree with your definitions.

For me...
A Show Quality animal is one which I would keep in my own program if I had room. They are free from DQ and a good show bunny.

A Brood Quality rabbit is one which I would use in my own program as well, but they have a DQ of some sort. This could be something like a missing ear or failure to make weight. Despite their shortcomings they usually have a quality that makes them worth keeping and so they are sold as brood quality stock--or held on to.

Pet quality; I would not breed this rabbit and neither should you. The best home for them would be with someone who doesn't care about showing or breeding.

I agree with your definitions.
Show quality has to be good enough that I would keep it and show it, if I had the room.
Brood Quality doesn't carry any genetic DQ's, it may have an injury related DQ (tail issue, ear cuts or nicks, white hairs from scars, cuts or bites, etc.) Wrong color is Pet quality to me.
Pet Quality may be a Mini Rex that is too heavy or a Flemish that is too light. White nails, wrong color, etc...

I agree with you too.

Show quality rabbits are my best. I usually keep the best baby out of each litter and then decide again after I collect a few new juniors. No DQ's or severe faults.

Brood Quality, (I agree) means that the rabbit may have minor DQs that are not genetic, or minor faults that prevent it from winning. I only keep unshowable colors for brood if everything else is spot on.

Pet Quality, has severe but not health related DQs like mis-colored toenails, odd colored spots and excessive white hairs and unshowable colors that won't fit well in a breeding program. Pet quality would also be a 'mutt', but I never cross breed my bunnies.

I think the issue of what DQs are acceptable as brood really depends on the breed.

I'll keep and breed a non accepted color of angora (ermine) since breeding it with the right color would most likely produce showable colors in the future. I would not keep an angora with the wrong color toenails however.

With my Silver Fox and Americans the breeding pool is so small I operate on a breed to correct basis. Too small? You're getting bred to something too big. White spots? you're getting bred to someone with good coat color.

When I do this I generally cull for DQs in the offspring and then breed back to the parent to recollect the "good qualities" I kept the brood animal for originally.

I encourage others who raise rare breeds to do the same.

My god, I have never seena a rabbit that big, Blugiants profile picture is what I am referring to. OMG, how gorgrous, its like carrying a baby. Sorry for going off the topic here.

Sharleen

Latest posts

Back