Should I get my boys neutered?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Katmais_mommy

Reaction score
I just got my tax return check in the mail the other day and deposited it today. So, I've decided to get Dutch neutered! He's a 2 yr old Dutch/Lionhead mix. I want to bond him because he's very... i cant describe it. He's not aggressive at all. Just REALLY hyper. I dont know if it's the breed or what, but Dutch has always been very antsy. I've seen all of my buns do some sort of "dead bunny flop" but not Dutch. If Dutch catches me watching him lie down, he gets right up. He's very alert. He's kinda crazy but that's why i love him.

The question I have is: Should I neuter my boy Katmai? He's had a weak immune system since he was 5 months old. He gets the "sneezes" sometimes but not often. I give him the Oxbow Daily C pills daily to give him a little boost. I would really like to to neuter him, not to bond him but just to make him smell less and to 100% potty train him.

Also, how the does the neuter process go? It's glue, right? Like surgical glue?

Thanks,

Molly

It would be a good idea to get Dutch neutered. For Katmai, I would talk with your vet as there may be other risks that could make it harder on him. Blood tests might be a good idea for both.

Most vets use sutures that are absorbale and so don't need to be removed. They then use glue to hold the outer layer of skin together. I am not sure if it is much different for males (my 1 male was 5 years ago and I have only have females done since). You usually don't need to get anything removed, but many vets will do a post op check on the incision to make sure it is healing right, my vet does this at about 10 days after.

You should talk with your vet about your concerns. They can give you more specific info on your buns and how they do things.

Costs can vary a lot. Spays around here about about $250-300, I am not sure about neuters, but they would be a bit less but around the same range. I do live in a big city and there are a few vets who do exotics.
I have heard of low costs clinics doing them for as low as $50, but I would be wary of them unless you know the vet doing it.
You really need to call vets in your area to get a price range. Around $200 would probably be average, but it really depends on the area.
More important to me than cost is the vet. You can pay $50, but if the vet isn't rabbit savvy then you can be in trouble. You can also pay $300 and have the same problem. I would rather pay a bit more for a vet I trust than save a few bucks and be worried about the care my rabbit receive (I still worry, but they are my babies).

Korr_and_Sophie wrote:
Costs can vary a lot. Spays around here about about $250-300, I am not sure about neuters, but they would be a bit less but around the same range. I do live in a big city and there are a few vets who do exotics.
I have heard of low costs clinics doing them for as low as $50, but I would be wary of them unless you know the vet doing it.
You really need to call vets in your area to get a price range. Around $200 would probably be average, but it really depends on the area.
More important to me than cost is the vet. You can pay $50, but if the vet isn't rabbit savvy then you can be in trouble. You can also pay $300 and have the same problem. I would rather pay a bit more for a vet I trust than save a few bucks and be worried about the care my rabbit receive (I still worry, but they are my babies).
I've been going to the same vet for two years and he's seen Katmai before, so I know him pretty well. His price is $100 and he's been a vet for 17 years specializing in exotics and pocket pets. What do you think?

Latest posts

Back