shes had one ear floppy all day!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

happybunniess

Reaction score
Hi! We just got our baby rabbit a few weeks ago (shes a bit bigger now but still young!) and this is our first time having a younger bunny. Her left ear has been extremely floppy for hours! when she tries to put it up it almost immediately flops back down, when she puts them back it either stays floppy or slightly lifts. i’m aware that this happens to lops but she’s a Harlequin + New Zealand + Lionhead + Mini Rex mix. Is this something to worry about? We’ve been giving her pellets because the previous owner said she was weaned just before we bought her.

Edited to add: She’s been behaving normally! eating, drinking, licking, running, jumping and exploring. Also playing with our bigger bunny. But she’s been biting her cage for attention a bit more than usual

Is this something that happened recently or since you got her? So no chance she has any lop in her?

Is this something that happened recently or since you got her? So no chance she has any lop in her?
It’s happened recently, thats why I’m a bit nervous. She’s put an ear down before but never for this long! I was only told that she had the 4 mixes I stated in the OP so I’m not sure.

It's possible that it just has to do with ear carriage(where the ear sits on the head) and this is normal for your rabbit There are also some health possibilities that can cause unusual flopping of the ear.

Higher temperatures will cause increased blood flow to the ears and make them heavier and weighed down, though with this you will also see other signs of heat stress. The there is the possibility of an ear infection. You can try feeling around the ear base to see if there are any lumps, heat, or sensitivity, and you could smell and look inside of the ear to see if it smells bad at all or if you can visibly see anything. But even if you don't find any of this it could still be an ear infection in the middle ear, which may need xrays to determine

If there is any concern of a possible ear infection, you will need to take your bun to be checked by an experienced rabbit vet. There was one other health issue that I came across that can cause drooping ears, but I don't recall what it was. I'll try and see if I can find it again.
Medirabbit (ear infection in rabbits)

https://rabbit.org/vet-listings/

It's possible that it just has to do with ear carriage(where the ear sits on the head) and this is normal for your rabbit There are also some health possibilities that can cause unusual flopping of the ear.

Higher temperatures will cause increased blood flow to the ears and make them heavier and weighed down, though with this you will also see other signs of heat stress. The there is the possibility of an ear infection. You can try feeling around the ear base to see if there are any lumps, heat, or sensitivity, and you could smell and look inside of the ear to see if it smells bad at all or if you can visibly see anything. But even if you don't find any of this it could still be an ear infection in the middle ear, which may need xrays to determine

If there is any concern of a possible ear infection, you will need to take your bun to be checked by an experienced rabbit vet. There was one other health issue that I came across that can cause drooping ears, but I don't recall what it was. I'll try and see if I can find it again.
Medirabbit (ear infection in rabbits)

https://rabbit.org/vet-listings/

Thanks for the link! I just contacted a vet. is there a possibility she just have helicopter ears? She’s lifted the “problem ear” today and right after I posted this thread but now it’s back floppy.

I’m not too familiar with her mixes so I’m not sure

Could just be normal for her then. Though if she starts to show signs of irritation like frequent head shaking, excessive scratching at her ear, loss of balance, or head tilt, I would get her seen by an experienced rabbit vet right away.

She's certainly cute!

Sounds like you have lop. I fostered a baby bunny, he came with his ears straight up. They stayed up for a few months. Then one ear started to flop, then the other. I ended up adopting him, he has lovely floppy ears!

Latest posts

Back