She's eating the carpet!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dkth

Reaction score
Dakota constantly tries eating up the rug! every minute im hearing this pulling sound of the carpet and she's there. I clap and say no loudly, and she stops and looks at me, then goes right back to doing it. (sigh) she has hay and wheni put it in front of her when she's eating the carpet, she eats a little of it and then starts gnawing at the carpet again. Im a little concerned about the carpet harming her, any good techniques to stop this behavior?

(and sometimes when shes trying to pull up the carpet, she tries to dig at it)

I've found a good solution is squirting them with water. Not only do they not associate the punishment directly with you, once they get wet enough they are distracted by grooming their fur.

Don't let her eat it as it will cause a blockage if she eats too much ;
try to place her in another room , on another flooring if the squirt bottle techniquedoesn't work

What we did (and still have to do) is to put something down, like a telephone book, newspaper, or piece of scrap carpet. Ours has favorite spots to sit and rip up carpet, so we make sure that these are covered when he is out playing. I am just now (after two years) starting to see verbal discipline working to stop the carpet chewing behavior.

Latest posts

Back