She wont stop peeing on the bed!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've had my rabbit for almost a year (she's about two years old) and I can't find a way to get her to stop peeing on the bed. I can't just keep her away from the bed, because her room is my room. At first, it was just my husband's side of the bed, but now she's indiscriminate. When we moved to our new apartment, I started her off in her cage (which broke my heart) and she had supervised visits out around the house. She was doing really well, so I let her just wander by herself (like she used to do at our old house) and then she peed on the bed today! I need to teach her that this is bad and I don't want to keep her in her cage all day because how much it upsets her. Please help!!!

Here's your old thread on this subject in case anybody wants to check it out.

http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=26002&forum_id=48&jump_to=333187#p333187

Sorry to hear this is still her bad habit!

Definitely use vinegar (at least half vinegar/water) to soak every bit of the pee smell out of the mattress. It probably is a territorial thing, so it's important to get the smells out. Vinegar will remove them, I think Fabreez will just mask them, so use the vinegar first and then the Fabreze.

If you can't stop her, you may be able to control her by making sure all the bed is odor-free except for a pee pad at the bottom of the bed. At least she'll contain her business to the best spot.

I had an old comforter covering my bed when Pipp went through this stage. (I still do, seeing as her new bad habit was chewing holes in the bedspread. :grumpy:

(I tell ya, they're lucky they're so darn cute!)

sas :biggrin2:

Does she jump onto the bed from the floor, or does she jump onto other things in order to get onto the bed?

I would simply work on blocking access to the bed. I know of people on other lists who have set up puppy exercise pens or NIC-grid fences to keep their buns from getting on their beds.

My bun *has* to pee if she's on a bed - any bed! - so she simply isn't allowed on the bed. Personally, I feel that that beds are too much temptation for one little bunny, and that keeping her off saves both of us from a lot of frustration and hassles.

So maybe you can modify things a bit?

ETA: I would definitely recommend setting up a fence of some kind (NIC or ex-pen) so that she has her own space within your room. (You could attach it to the cage, for example.) My bun has a large, fenced-in area for running when I'm not around, also for when I'm sleeping or unable to supervise her. It seems to work very well for her, and for me, too. ;) Unless your bedroom is tiny, I'd think it should be pretty easy to orgaize something like this, and you might find that she enjoys having a somewhat larger area to call her own.

EXACT same problem here. My bunnies are free in my room all day and one or both of them pee and poop all over the bed....

After failed attempts to keep them off, I gave up and just started covering the bed with a shower curtain when I'm not in it. It's water proof so you can just wipe it off, and I have noticed they go up there less cause they don't like the crinkling as much as the soft comfy sheets.

Most days the cover is completely clean when the bed uncovered was getting it everyday

Hi! Same problem here; not on the bed because he's been banned from the bedroom, but he pees all over the rug in my kitchen.

I tried to put a trash bag (like the shower curtain idea) but Gulliver gets all kinds of mad at the bag & rips holes in it. Then I get nervous that he is eating plastic, so it has become just easier to give in.
I've put a litter pan on the carpet but he doesn't care, just keeps peeing & pooping on the carpet.

I know, it's frustrating..

Aluminum foil.

Spank had the same problem - he'd pee on the bed a good 5 or 6 times a day. I got advice from a local rabbit rescue, who told me putting aluminum foil on the bed stops them from jumping on the bed and peeing. And it worked!!

I'll have to go to BJ's and get a big roll of aluminum foil, and foil my living room & kitchen!

All kidding aside, I've used aluminum foil to stop my cats from scratching the couch, and it did work. Just doesn't look so nice on the furniture.

My rabbit is actually very good about using the litterbox for peeing not so much with the poop. He recently peed on my bed and it was a shock because i did not see it coming. I could not understand why he did not pee in the box... and then i looked to the litter box and i realized i had not given him a new fresh box. That was his way of telling me "Mommy clean my bathroom or else!" Since then he has been great with his litterbox.

I dont know what to tell you about your rabbit. Clearly, the rabbit is telling you something. That something could be "Mine, Mine Mine" or it could be "hahahaha, i just peed on your bed " i Hope you can figure it out soon.

Latest posts

Back