She quit eating

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PegHill

Reaction score
I have two rabbits that I got this past summeras a rescue. The male is a Rex and the female is anAngora. I didn't realize that they were old enough to becomeparents. I put Fluffy in with Rex while I cleaned hercage. Well, we are on day 30 of expecting. She hasbecome quite the eater since then. But, over thelast2.5 - 3days, she has quit eating. Ihave kept her regular pellets in her bowl, tried her favorite goodies:carrots, cucumbers, crackers, and broccoli tips.Ieven tried a slice of fresh apple. She just won'teat. She is drinking plenty, though, and I am keeping herwater bottle full (bottled water).

Isher eating habitnormal?

She has her nesting box ready. She was social, but now when Iopen the cage, she acts like she's guarding the box. Ichecked, no young 'uns yet.

I am moving this to the rabbitry so the breeders will see it and response.

I have some does that will go off their feed a couple of days beforedelivery and other does that go off their feed 10 minutes before laborhits. It just depends upon the doe.

PLEASE PLEASE...give your doe some tums or something with a bit of calcium in it....

As long as your doe doesn't appear to be struggling with labor - and she's drinking...she should be fine.

Peg

Is she munching on any hay?

As Peg mentioned, some does do go off feed close to their due date.

I give Nutri Cal to rabbits that go off feed (high in calories and willkeep the doe's glucose levels up - also contains calcium).

Pam

Thnaks for the replies. She hasn'tbeen eating any hay either. I just checked on them and sheseems uncharacteristically energetic this morning.

My does went off feed for a couple of daysbefore kindling. She will make up for it when shekindles. Don't increase feed for a couple of days, especiallyif she has a small litter. If my does have huge litters Iwill increase pellets sooner. Keep lots of water available asthey consume large amounts to produce milk.:eats:

She tore up her nesting box yesterdayafternoon. It was an over sized shoe box. Beinglate on New Years Eve with nothing else on hand, I gave her a lot ofextra hay. During the night, she has built a nice nest in it,lined with fur. She also ate,she finishedoffher bowl. There's no noticeable difference inher size and I hate to disturb her nest to check on kits.

When she delivers, will I see a decrease in her size? Is itok to check the nest? The nest is a cave/borrow that she madesideways into a pile of hay.

Thanks,

Its okay to check the nest, in fact youshould. Remove any placentas or dead kits (its not uncommonto find dead ones at birth--you won't be a horrible mom).Count the numbers and be sure to find the same number every day whenyou check. Be sure they have full tummies--they will have bigfroggie tummies right after they eat. They only eat once ortwice a day. Enjoy!

Latest posts

Back