Shadow has a small bump by his eye

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LuvMyRabbits

Reaction score
Hi guys...last night when I put my baby's in thier cages Ididwhat I usually do and spend 5-10 min just petting them and talking to them and kinda massaging their heads..well when I got to Shadows cage and was rubbing him kinda up by his ears I felt this tiny hard bump on his face kinda below his eye ( maybe more on the side ) Its quite small but I could feel it through the fur when I moved my fingers in a circular motion...this morning when I let them out I had my son help me hold him so I could seperate his fur and look at how the bump looked...its small and its the same color as his skin...he didnt mind me touching it or rubbing it last night so its not giving him pain..but idk what it is?? do rabbits get moles?? lol thats probally a absolutley stupid question but thats kinda what it feels like..any clues..I dont know if I can get a clear picture since its so small and on his face but I could maybe try if needed..

I'm not sure if this matters but every morning Spirit does groom his face right by his eyes..he never moves like shes hurting him or anything but she does do it pretty agressive..he just lays there and lets her..never flinches or trys to run or I'd make her stop..shes the dominant one so I always just put it to thats why she's doing it that way..but not sure ifthe "bump" could have anything to do with that?

It could be an abscess (which would be hard) so probably should be seen by a vet ;
if it is an abscess it will start to get bigger so watch it for a few days.

As stupid as this sounds, is there a whisker growing out of it?

angieluv wrote:
It could be an abscess (which would be hard) so probably should be seen by a vet ;
if it is an abscess it will start to get bigger so watch it for a few days.
What are they caused from?? He's going thursday for his neuter so I'll have her take a look then...yes it is hard..but flesh colored..is that their usual look??

zdfFlashy wrote:
As stupid as this sounds, is there a whisker growing out of it?

Just checked no whiskers coming out of it...its definitley under his eye about 1/2 inch maybe less..I took some pics uploading them now hopefully they come out clear so I can post them...he doesnt mind me messing with it at all..if it was an abcess would it be painful for them at a early stage??

Just a random thought, was hoping it might be something really benign.

Definitely get the vet to check it when he is neutered. also ask for the vet to check his teeth and it might be sensible to get a skull x-ray too to see what his tooth roots are doing. It's very opportune to get it all done at once to avoid a second GA.

Only one pic of the bump came even close to being clear enough to see..so here it is..

%3Ca%20href=
IMG_4212.jpg
its very tiny and slightly raised and it is hard you can kinda see it in the very middle of where the fur is spread apart..

and here is a pic just cuz hes so darn cute I couldnt resist=)

%3Ca%20href=
IMG_4213.jpg
"

Is it on the other side? All my bunnies (able to feel it better on the bigger guys) have a teeny tiny round bump around the same area as you mention on both sides. Not sure exactly what it is, but they do have a small small bump right below their eyes. If I feel under their eyes going back towards their ears, I can feel it on both sides of their face.

Spring wrote:
Is it on the other side? All my bunnies (able to feel it better on the bigger guys) have a teeny tiny round bump around the same area as you mention on both sides. Not sure exactly what it is, but they do have a small small bump right below their eyes. If I feel under their eyes going back towards their ears, I can feel it on both sides of their face.
Yanno what there is one on the other side in the exact same spot with the exact same feel ..Last night when I originally felt it I didfeelthe other side to see if there was something there but I must have missed it..so this is normal then?? I'll ask the vet what those are when we see her Thursday

I'm assuming it's normal since I checked all 5 of my guys and they all have it.. very hard to find on my little 4lb girl, but she does have little ones. I wonder if it's some sort of gland or something? Not really sure what it is, but I noticed this awhile back, so I figured that could be what it is. Shadow is a fairly large rabbit, isn't he? When I was checking, I found it was easiest to detect on my big guy Bruno.

All my rabbits have/had them. I think in some cases it's like Flashy suggested - either a whisker or some coarse hair growing there.

I would definitely mention it to the vet as well, though, just to put your mind at rest.

Jan

Spring wrote:
I'm assuming it's normal since I checked all 5 of my guys and they all have it.. very hard to find on my little 4lb girl, but she does have little ones. I wonder if it's some sort of gland or something? Not really sure what it is, but I noticed this awhile back, so I figured that could be what it is. Shadow is a fairly large rabbit, isn't he? When I was checking, I found it was easiest to detect on my big guy Bruno.

Hes smaller than Spirit but kinda big I guess hes about 6 or so pounds I dont know if thats larger in rabbits

I just checked Spirit and shes got them to on the same place on her face except hers feel smaller..gonna ask the vet Thursday exactly what they are maybe she'll know..I wish I woulda felt the other one on his face and checked hers last night so I wasnt freaking out all day about what could be going wrong now :blushan:I'm such a big worry wart but better to ask than let it sit there and me wonder what it is forever..thanks for your help guys...very much appreciated as always :biggrin2:

btw..I'm also thinking that Shadow is definitley younger than we first had thought..for about the last 2 or so weeks he is constantly trying to mount Spirit which he never did before so I'm thinking he just now is reaching sexual maturity..doesnt that happen around 3 or 4 months for boys?? at what age do they usually reach their full size? cuz if hes around 6 pounds now he may be a beast by the time hes full grown:muscleman:I've been making them take turns being out since she had her spay not to long ago..so hes not allowed to be around her until he can keep his hormones in check lol..thank god his neuter is Thursday! Hopefully that will calm down a bit:blushan:

Since it's on top of the skin, not under it, I would think it's a skin thing, not an abscess. I haven't seen it before. If he's just reaching sexual maturity, he's probably at about 80% of his adult size. As a mini lop (adorable pic btw), he will be 8-10 lbs.

tonyshuman wrote:
Since it's on top of the skin, not under it, I would think it's a skin thing, not an abscess. I haven't seen it before. If he's just reaching sexual maturity, he's probably at about 80% of his adult size. As a mini lop (adorable pic btw), he will be 8-10 lbs.

8-10 pounds and they call it a mini lop?? lol that seems pretty massive for a rabbit..whats mini about 8 pounds? :pyes I believe he is just reaching sexual maturity..they told us he was 6weeks when we bought him now I'm thinking they were right..that was around easter when we got him so the dates seem to add up.

I'm glad he will be bigger though..I have boys so I would be afraid to have one of the smaller dwarf rabbits around with their wildness lol so him being bigger is definitley a good thing!

Latest posts

Back