Seizures in rabbits??

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ttrkyra

Reaction score
I have a charlie holland lop named Keehani. She is probably a little over a year old.

For the past few months she's been having seizure like fits. One side of her body just becomes totally stiff and she can't stand up. She flops around trying really hard, but only ends up making herself more hysterical. Her legs get stiff, especially noticeable is her back leg(usually left side) and on the same side, her lip will go up, and only one side of her nose wiggles. She'll have several throughout 1-3 days and then go a few weeks without any problems. (at least while I'm around..)

I take her out of her cage and either settle her on the floor or hold her in my arms until she's done. It calms her down significantly to be held. and within a couple of minutes,she's back to her normal self. It doesn't appear to have any lasting damage.

Has anybody else had any sort of experience with this?? Any ideas of what it mightbe or if it's dangerous?

I'm going to try to track down the breeder I bought her from and see if she has any history of it.. =/

Thanks a lot,

--Brenda

And for your viewing pleasure:

CHINCHILLA KISSES!!!

kee_syl_kisses.jpg

Thanks Pam, I think I'll look into getting her to a vet. Wish it wasn't so quickly approaching the weekend, though. =/

--Brenda

Got little Keehani into a vet on an emergency basis this morning. She's still there. =(

Vet witnessed a seizure, and so he gave her some valium, so the seizures have stopped, and she's one drugged up bun.

He thinks it's probably epilepsy, but is doing some blood work andother teststo rule out everything else. Hopefully it's not abrain tumor and she'll come out of it okay.

She'll probably have to be on meds twice a day for the rest of her life though if it israbbit epilepsy.

Got to take her home last night. She's doing so much better! She looks like a happy normal bun now! (Yay!!)

Vet thinks it's epilepsy, since all of the blood work came out normal.She's being put on anti-seizure meds and will go back for a re-check in3 weeks to make sure they're working. =)

She absolutely adores her medication. That banana flavored valium and anti-biotic must be really good.. she wants more after I give them to her. =) I'm happy that she's so good about it, though.. since it's twice a day forever.. The meds are only $20 a month too, and they mail them to my house, so it's going to work out fine. =)

I'm really glad she's okay..

Latest posts

Back