Seeking kindling advice...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluebird3

Reaction score
I am new to this board (and think it is WONDERFUL!!) I appreciate any advice that I can get!

A little history:

I have a NZW doe that has kindled one litter before.....on day 35. She had one GIANT, GIANT dead kit and one very hairy kit, alive. The hairy kit was fostered off to another doe, but died after 5 days (I am betting that it had an infection, as the "sibling" kit thatwas already dead at birth was not in the best condition *trying not to be too graphic, here*).

Anyways, I was told to re-breed this doe and that her second litter should be successful. SO....she was re-bred. I am NOT good at palpating (as I am very new to rabbits), but I do think that I feel "something" there.....(also, she has developed quite a large abdomen in the past week). Today is day 33 and still nothing!

So....here are my questions. Do I just sit back and wait? Is there something that I can do to "spur" on labor? Help, Help, Help!!!! I am SO crossing my fingers that we have a successful litter, but I am worried that the same thing that happened last time is about to happen again. Any input would be much appreciated! THANK YOU!!!

I think a lot of the Rabbitry mods and other breedersareat shows this weekend, but hang tough, I'm sure a response will be forthcoming shortly!

Hope she's okay!

Meanwhile, here's a thread that might come in handy.

http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=5604&forum_id

sas :)and gang :bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance:

You can take her to the vet where they will make sure that she is indeed pregnant and will give her a shot of oxytocin which induces labor. When you rebred her, did you use the same buck?

Sharon

Sas.....Thanks so much for the link! I searched the forums, yet did not come across that particular thread! Thanks again!

Sharon..... I will be taking "Ginger" to the vet tomorrow. Today is day 35 and still NOTHING. SO, either she is having problems, just carrying the kits a LONG time, or she is notpregnant. My local vet (I live in a very small town in the middle of NOWHERE) does notknow much about rabbits (his words, not mine), however, in this case, beggers cannot be choosers. Hopefully, he will be able to at least determine IF Ginger is pregnant and IF there is a problem. (I would take her today, except he is only in the office M-F....no exceptions).

Yes, she was rebred to the same buck, as we only have one buck and one doe New Zeland White. I will be taking the "Two Strikes" and you are out approach to this "couple". If she kindles as she did last time, I will not re-breed either of them.

I am SO confused!!! One minute, I think that she just HAS to be pregnant, and the next minute I think that maybe she is not. Here's a little of what I have noticed...... Shehas "re-arranged" her hay in her nestbox to form an "indention" in the back corner and has not bothered her nestbox since.She has become PLUMP, PLUMP in her abdominal area. Her "mood" has not changed. She is still eating and drinking the exact same amount as always. She seems to be in no pain what so ever (no teeth grinding, no hunching over, etc). Seeing that I am obviously NOT good at palpating, I just have NO CLUE!!!!

Thanks so much to you both for responding! I guess we will see what the next 24 hours brings.....and then march on over to the vet's office! Thanks again and have a GREAT day!

I am so sorry that I didn't get "results" posted sooner.........

I took Ginger to the vet Monday and she was NOT pregnant. (THANK GOODNESS)!! Thiswas GREAT news, as this meant that we were not facing a kindling problem like the first time (with the one giant kit). We still have hope that Ginger could give us some beautiful New Zelands in the future!

We will attempt to re-breed Ginger soon!!! Keep your fingers crossed that we have a successful litter of kits in a little over a month!!!

Thanks to all who responded!!!!!I cCannot wait to read more on this board.......I learn something new each and every time I log on!!!!

Latest posts

Back