Sedge mats

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

memoryofwings

Reaction score
Hi there! I've been wanting to section out a part of my apartment as a play area for my two bunnies and have been doing quite a lot of research, but am still not sure what I can use to cover the floor. My bunnies are not litter trained so I'm really concerned about them doing their business all over the place and staining the floor. Also, one of my bunnies doesn't like to be on a tile floor. What would be a good type of liner? I read that straw mats could be used but I can't find those anywhere (I live in Fresno, CA). How about sedge mats? Would those be safe for the bunnies if they chew on them? Thank you for your help!

How big is the section? You could maybe purchase a sheet of plywood and cover it in those sticky vinyl floor tiles for the area. A normal sheet of plywood is about 4' X 8' I believe. That way, they wouldn't even touch the floor underneath.

I'm not sure what a sedge mat is, but mine chews everything under the sun. The only thing she doesn't is these sticky tiles. And they are soooooooo easy to keep clean.

Good luck!

Suz wrote:
I'm not sure what a sedge mat is, but mine chews everything under the sun. The only thing she doesn't is these sticky tiles. And they are soooooooo easy to keep clean.
I didn't measure the area so I'm not too sure.... I think probably one or two sheets of plywood would do.

A sedge mat is a mat made out of sedge which is a type of plant. Sedge mats basically look like straw beach mats. I know it's okay for bunnies to chew on straw, but I wasn't sure about sedge in case they swallowed it too if it would do any harm to their digestive system.

And what sticky tiles are you talking about? Is this another alternative to lining the play area?

Thanks for your reply!

Sticky vinyl tiles are available at any home improvement store. It's just regular old vinyl flooring that people use in kitchens, bathrooms, etc. However, these come in 12"x12" sticky square tiles that you stick onto a surface square by square.

http://flooring-n-tiles.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/0081.jpg

Not sure if that link to a picture will work or not. I just figured you could buy some thin plywood and stick the tiles to the plywood. That way you wouldn't have to stick these tiles to your apartment floor (not sure the landlord would approve ;)). I have the tiles in Muppet's hutch and just clean the surface weekly with vinegar/water and it works great!

That sounds like a really good idea (the link worked, btw :)) I definitely would've been concerned about sticking those tiles directly on my floor. Thanks so much for your help!

I think sedge is fine BTW. Some sedges are called seagrass, and that's a favorite mat material for bunnies that is also edible. As long as there aren't any chemical treatments of the plants or the mats involved, it's fine.

tonyshuman wrote:
I think sedge is fine BTW. Some sedges are called seagrass, and that's a favorite mat material for bunnies that is also edible. As long as there aren't any chemical treatments of the plants or the mats involved, it's fine.
Thanks! That's good to know. I'll make sure to get the plain ones that haven't been dyed.

Latest posts

Back