Scooter is building a nest

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SugarGlider

Reaction score
My daughter came up this morning and saidScooter was building a nest. I went down to check her andsure enough she's pulling hair. I gave her some hay and shegrabbed it right away.

I checked my dates and we tried to breed her on October 21st but Iswear none of them even looked like he got anywhere near her!We did it the first time and then an hour later then another hourlater. The first time he got her head... then there was a wetspot on her back... and the third time it looked like he got her backagain.

So we might have little dutch tort babies coming today. I'll keep y'all posted.

Well, now she is having babies. She ishaving them beside the nest box instead of in it :( but thereis hay. I'm not sure how to help her.

DSC00001-8.jpg

How exciting. I'm waiting for some does here whohave started nesting - this always gets me excited as I wait for thewee ones to be born.

Once she is done, I'd move them into the nestbox for her along with her nesting material if it is fairly clean.

I'm so excited for you - please make sure to share more pictures with us!

Peg

There are 4 babies. I assume they are all torts since the only thing on both parents pedigrees are torts.

When she finished I tried to put them in the nest box but she got inand was hopping on them and trying to drag one out so I made a nest inthe corner instead.

I'm really nervous... I wish I'd realised that she'd taken so I could have prepared better.

I would try again to get the babies in the nest box.

They need something to contain them, other wise they can crawl out of the warm nest, and freeze to death.

I found that Wildfire pulled more fur after giving birth, and for a couple hours after giving birth.

Perhaps you could take mom out of the cage for an inspection.Make sure you can't feel any stuck kits, and put the babies in the nestbox before putting mom back in. That way she won't see youfussing with the babies, and she might accept the box better.

I've generally not had a problem moving babies and nest into a box.

--Dawn

Oh, how fun!

Will you keep them or sell them? I wish I could take a little girl ;)

Keep us posted with lots of pics! I almost forgot all about Mr and Mrs Pie. Are they outdoor bunnies?

They are in the basement and it's heated.

Unfortunately I have to leave in an hour to make a 6 hour trip todeliver some sugar gliders so I think its best to leave them as theyare for now. She did pull more fur on top of them so it lookslike she's happy for now. I'm afraid to mess with them andupset her then be gone 6 or so hours and not be able to check on her.

We bred with the hope that we might get a show bunny out of the two ofthem. We will probably keep one or two... or three or four*laugh*.

Thanks everyone for the advice and I'm sorry if I seem to be not takingit... I will try to get the next box in tomorrow for her when I cansupervise all day.

I took these when I moved them.
DSC00007-3.jpg
DSC00006-3.jpg

DSC00005-4.jpg
DSC00004-3.jpg

The nest
DSC00001-9.jpg
DSC00002-7.jpg

I have some does that fight using a nestbox...sowe put flashing around the bottom of their cage (on the inside). Myhusband got it at the hardware store - it is about 2" high I think andit is a shiny metal. He cut it into the lengths we needed - actually -we have 24" X 24" cages so he did 2 strips for each cage that were 48"long and then folded them in half (creased it really) so that eachstrip would do 2 sides of a cage.

Peg

If you are going to leave the babies where theyare...put some wood or something solid on the floor beneaththem. They will dig to the bottom of their nest and with thembeing on wire, they can get their feet stuck and break legs.Congrats. Their markings (from the top) look good.

Sharon

Mama is taking great care of thebabies. I couldn't get her to take to the nest box but I tookthe bottom out and slid it under the nest box. I see themwith big fat fed bellies all the time.

One baby has beautiful color and two have nice markings (from what I can tell but I'm a newbie).

I'll get better pictures in a couple of days when they have more fur.

DSC00001.jpg

aurora369 wrote:
EEEK!!

It looks like they've been dipped in caramel.

Congrads SugarGlider!

--Dawn
That's what I thought too!:D So adorable!:bunnyheart Keep posting pics of their progress please!:pleaseplease:

Michaela and the girls:brownbunny:brownbunny:brownbunny

I see one has decent markings, from what I cansee. The one in the upper right has a split stop so thatcan't be shown. The one on the lower left has a wavy saddlebut so far the rest look showable. Just need to make sure therest have good stops and no drags on the undercut that go above theelbows.

Sharon

Back