scent glands

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lemonaxis

Reaction score
I was just wondering, how many of you have to regularly clean your buns scent glands. To be completely honestly clueless, I just have not had to , I believe clean out Jazz's scent glands. I had a look today and there seemed to be no smell or discharge but I have read up that they have to done every few weeks.

thoughts?
I will clean them if its what she needs as I read on how to do it but yeah....is it always necessary?
She has no issues with odors other than her urine but its not that strong and I clean her litter bow every day etc.

hi lemon!

nemo was stinky about a week ago, a little less i think, and i posted on here in a flurry of panic about it because my mom insisted he smelled so bad he was going to be "kicked out". the good folks here suggested i check out his scent glands, which was pretty icky, but i'd do anything for that bun. when i checked them, they just had a bit of dried poo in them. i had to use my finger to kinda pick it out a little, which was even more rancid. but i digress...he's my little nemo.

i can't say that helped TOO much, not so much as how i switched litters. it absorbs wonderfully.

but to get to the real point here....nemo's previous family treated him like scum, so i'm quite sure he's never had his scent glands checked. they had him from april to the end of july, and i took him at the end of july and i JUST checked them last thursday.

i think it is normal for scent glands to not be filled with ick. i think it's normal either way. you just get lucky, no? :):):)

<3!

tracy and (the de-stinked) nemo

I totally agree with what Tracy said: some do, some don't.

I believe it depends on the bunny, Wash has never needed to have his scent glands cleaned. I would say that you should only clean them if there isproblem.

I have had our buns' scent glands cleaned (I think each of them now), and each time, they were pretty full of waxy build-up. I've read that it's possible the bun may get an infection from all the build-up (if something gets in there), but I've not read yet on someone having that happen (even though, the chance makes me clean them anyway). I've yet to clean them MYSELF...it's always been BunnyLuv (who I've taken a few of the buns to for grooming) or the vet...but it's something I was thinking of handling here soon.

For those possibly posting tips on HOW to clean them...I've seen some vets use a fluid on a long q-tip (the kind at the vet's) to clean them. What's that fluid they use?

I use mineral oil (baby oil) on a q-tip (cotton swap). Protects the skin (it's SO delicate there) and makes it easy to remove the "gunk". Oh, and they smell SO much better afterwards! LOL! (But they don't think so! It's so funny!!)

I don't use alcohol (could burn and sting) but plain warm water works too, just takes a little longer to really get it clean.

I need to do Bo's and I dread it. He gets the waxy little yucky things in there and when we clean him - well let's just say "WHO NEEDS THE STOMACH FLU!?" We have to cover our noses and now we have Vick's salve to put on the bandana or scarf so we can't smell him LOL!

I have had to clean Roxie's scent glands 3 times since I got her. Buddy has never had his cleaned because he never has anything in them!Like everyone said it all depends on the rabbit. Roxie gets very smelly,though!
10_1_111.gif

P.S. Cleaning scent glands is probablly one of the worst things to do for a slave!

Erik needed to have his cleaned out a few days ago. It was pretty simple- we just pulled out the little piece of gunk with a pair of plastic-capped tweezers. Didn't actually touch the skin, just grabbed the stuff.

Ivory, on the other hand, needed full-out cleaning. She was disgusting. She had these things on both sides, about the size of peas. I had to soften it up with some mineral oil and slowly pull it out. It was actually easy on her, because she was knocked out because Ivory is...well....a bit crazy and doesn't trust anyone. Doing it when it would have been conscious would have been....disastrous. She's just starting to let me lie down next to her without attacking me....

Since then I've been putting a small amount of malt flavoring on her tail to encourage her to keep herself clean. And she's done a really good job so far- not much buildup.

some of mine need to be cleaned some do not. One of my buns (Tessa) was born with a defective scent gland opening, it was closed in the middle on the outside only leaving the area a tunnel under the skin with 2 tiny holes at either end.

it was quite impossible to clean and it was building up. it was about 6 years ago we fixed it, didn't even have to knock her out for it, I held her leaning against me the vet numbed up the area, we waited for the numbness to set in, then she lazered it open, a couple stitches, ointment on it several times a day to keep it from sticking back together while it healed, and poof good as new.. and Tessa was as good as gold about the whole thing... My Dog Promise (RIP) was not so happy I took one of "HER" fav buns somewhere with out taking her and peed in the center of my bed..

any rate the area is still crooked asthe tight together skin kinda pulled things side ways a bit, causingher to pee on her own leg, and it's still a bit crooked but now it's not pulled taunt. and she doesn't get build up any more.:)

PS Tessa is actually the center bun in my avatar pic, she is 7 1/2 years old currently.

Cleaning out scent glands is in no way to be underestimated.:? Cleaning out Carlita's was the first time I had ever done it and even though I have a strong stomach and can handle all sorts of yuck from vomit to spit to poo, I have seriously met my match in the cleaning out of scent glands!!! lol :)

The following is just something I wrote for a friend when she asked me how I did it: It is NOT a recommended way for anyone reading this, just a passage on the cleaning of scent glands that worked for ME....lol :shock:

"They are to be found right next to the sex organs, on either side. The skin here can be gently pulled open to find pouches of skin that is an extremely sensitive area, the skin is almost paper thin. Whilst holding bunny upside down , resting on your lap and trancing bunny, you can use your hands to separate the flaps open and check for a yucky discharge, sometimes firm tiny or medium sized particles or just a sticky substance. Using ear cleaner buds and a mineral oil or just very warm water, you can pull out whatever there is in there. That is not the gross bit. Its the smell!!! Worse than a sewerage tank! ;)

Wear gloves!

It is better if bunny's bottom is near your knees and her head is partially embedded in your lap. Two people may be needed if bun is a little feisty. Bunny NEEDS to be calm because a wrong move and the sensitive skin can split easily. Oh dear. ;) "

Anyway I might have to check her again, she still is a bit smelly but not nearly as bad. Do the scent glands under the chin need checking too?
I have never even seen these and wonder if its worth having a look. Presumably I don't have to clean those too...groans in disdain! ;)

The scent glands under the chin do not need cleaning. They stay pretty clean by themselves. And there is no smell from them, that you can detect... (only other buns can smell that!)

The smell from the others though can be quite obnoxious! But sometimes it just needs to be done. (sigh... the trials and tribulations of bunny slaves...!)

:bunnybutt::bunnybutt::bunnybutt:

Back