Scabs

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sarazwagerman

Reaction score
We have found scabs on 3 of our rabbits. I live in Michigan. Don't know what it could be caused from. Any suggestions. I have a call in to the vet for thursday but I don't really know if it is needed.

Were you trying to bond with another bun? Sometimes if there is a fight you may see scabs. Otherwise, I am not sure.

Best to talk to a vet just in case anyway, so good call there! Let us know.;)

I don't think they are fight wounds. They all seem fine when we are home. If they are fighting its when we aren't looking. One scab was on the back of a neck, one on a foot and another on a side. I don't really know how to describe them. Thumpers injury is really bad. One of his complete toes is one big scab. It also looks like it is swollen. Is there anything that I can be putting on them to be helping them heal faster? I didn't think I could because any cream I would put on there they would lick off. Thanks for all the help.

I would recommend using Neosporin on them, the kind without the extra, forget what that has in it. I think it has a painkiller, I can't remember as I haven't seen it or used it. So, just regular Neosporin should be fine.

Try that for a couple days and if they aren't any better, Then, when you see the vet Thursday, he may have some insight after seeing them.:)

Do you happen to have them on wire bottom cages at all? This could also contribute to this issue, so just a thought.;)

Are there any insects that could be biting them? I think a vet visit is advisable. You don't want to take a chance with infection.

The swollen toe does sound like an infection. Rabbits are really prone to infection and abscesses that contain very thick pus. A vet can drain the abscess for you and/or give antibiotics to kill the bacteria in it. They are such cuties I hope they come through ok, but I definitely think you should take them to the vet, especially where one is swollen. Neosporin w/o painkiller is good, like angelnsnuffy said. Also, the toe injury sounds like it could have been caused by a wire floor. I can't imagine how they could get injured anywhere else unless there was biting involved (either by another rabbit or some other animal). I guess they could have fur mites or fleas and may have scraped the skin raw where the fleas are bothering them.

to keep them from licking off the cream, give them a treat or pet them immediately after putting it on so they don't have a chance to get at it right away. Occupying them for a few minutes will allow it to soak into the wound.

Well we did just build a brand new NIC Cage but haven't found the cause of the wounds. The scabs are seeming to be getting better but now Skylars belly is starting to feel warm. Does any one know what this might mean? I haven't seen any bugs crawling on them and I look at that a lot. I'm always worried about that. Thanks for all the help again.

Latest posts

Back