Scab on bunny's bum

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sheerbabunny

Reaction score
I was cleaning my bunny with a wet towel when I noticed a red sore where a yellow/whitish scab has developed. It is located between her bum and stomach area. Does anyone know what this is? I will see a vet ASAP but wanted to see if anyone had experience with this type of scab.

Attachments

• 20220418_115136.jpg
    20220418_115136.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 9
  • 20220418_115126.jpg
    20220418_115126.jpg
    267.6 KB · Views: 9
Did there appear to be any flies around her cage or larva on her bum? Is it inflamed? Does she appear to be in any pain? If so, it may be flystrike.
If there are no larva on her, I would guess it is just a gash that needs to be treated with a flush and antibiotic ointment as well as a bandaging.

I just saw her poop and there was a little white worm looking thing in there. This is the first time I've ever seen anything like that. I have a vet appointment for Wednesday. [WARNING GRAPHIC POOP]20220418_152000.jpg

Did there appear to be any flies around her cage or larva on her bum? Is it inflamed? Does she appear to be in any pain? If so, it may be flystrike.
If there are no larva on her, I would guess it is just a gash that needs to be treated with a flush and antibiotic ointment as well as a bandaging.
My reply is below in a comment.

I have had a rabbit pass a poop with a worm that looked the same. At the time, I think it was a pinworm. That's what it looks like your bunny has although I can't be 100% sure. I treated my rabbit with a single dose of dewormer and they were gone.
Could you check her scab/cut? Is there any larva in it? Or does it just look like a typical skin wound? I am/was thinking she has flystrike because of the location and the look of the scab. Flystrike can be dangerous. That is if she does has it. But the scab looks small right now.

I have had a rabbit pass a poop with a worm that looked the same. At the time, I think it was a pinworm. That's what it looks like your bunny has although I can't be 100% sure. I treated my rabbit with a single dose of dewormer and they were gone.
Could you check her scab/cut? Is there any larva in it? Or does it just look like a typical skin wound? I am/was thinking she has flystrike because of the location and the look of the scab. Flystrike can be dangerous. That is if she does has it. But the scab looks small right now.
Where did you get your dewormer from? Was it a prescription? I just checked her scab out and I really didn't see anything small moving around...when I peel the white part it's just red underneath. I could only get a blurry photo.

Attachments

• 20220418_174044.jpg
    20220418_174044.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 6
The photo is fine, I don't see larva so can guess that she's probably doesn't have flystrike. Just wash it up and make sure it stays clean and uninfected, just watch for any flies around her and/or larva.
Personally, I used Ivermectin horse paste, but many people are against that so you could use an anti-parasitic drug or injectable ivermectin. Honestly, their are several ways to treat the pinworm and it's just how you want to approach it. You can get a prescription from you vet but you might need to wait until she passes another pinworm to show proof she has them.

The photo is fine, I don't see larva so can guess that she's probably doesn't have flystrike. Just wash it up and make sure it stays clean and uninfected, just watch for any flies around her and/or larva.
Personally, I used Ivermectin horse paste, but many people are against that so you could use an anti-parasitic drug or injectable ivermectin. Honestly, their are several ways to treat the pinworm and it's just how you want to approach it. You can get a prescription from you vet but you might need to wait until she passes another pinworm to show proof she has them.
Thank you for all of the useful information. I am going to order a paste for rabbits online called Panacur. I have cleaned the area and her litter box.

Latest posts

Back