Sammy has a uti now

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sammybunny

Reaction score
Sammy is my problem child latly. If you remember back in October he had GI stasis which I nursed him through and he's been fine. Well when I get back from my vacation he was acting normal for 2 days then yesterday I noticed his bottom is completely urine soaked. I gave him a butt bath with some baby shampoo and blow dried him.
He is acting completely normal otherwise. He is eating like a pig drinking a normal amount and having pretty nomral poops. He did have a few softer ones but for the most part normal. He is hopping around and playing like nothing is wrong too. Well when I got home from work yesterday evening, he was urine soaked again. I gave him another butt bath and blowdried and he was soaked this morning. I took him to work with me and the doctor checked him over. He isn't painful when palpated and we took an XRay and didn't see any obvious stones. I tried to palpate a bladder to get a urine sample but it was too small because he keeps voiding it all out.
The doctor put him on baytril which is broad spectrum because we want to get a hold on this, I was going to wait til tomorrow to try to get the sample but he will have started the antibiotics which will effect the results. Anyways, he is doing fine otherwise so we are going to try to see if this works. In the meantime I am trying to keep him as clean and comfortable as possible. I tried some baby cornstarch powder, not talcum or scented and seemed to help wick some of the moisture away. He is already getting some reddened skin so I don't want it to turn into full on urine scald on top of a uti. He isn't in pain but I don't want him to get that way. I want to give him cranberries but he has a sensitive stomach and I don't dare upset it with a new food like that. Poor Sammy.

Might to be wise to get a blood panel to see if his kidneys are functioning properly ; withut aCulture you cannot tell if this is even an infection.
Some vets can actually get a sterile urine sample from the bladder

I had a bun with renal failure (same symptoms) butI am not saying that is your case however it should be ruled out . My bun did not have bacteria in his bladder

I agree. It is more common to do a culture for a uti than for other issues, since the sane symptoms can mean several things.

Latest posts

Back