Safe herbs for a bunny prone to stasis

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My bunny has been suffering from repeated episodes of stasis ever since she was a baby. She was barely feed any hay, mostly grains before we adopted her. She also suffered from cecal dysbiosis. She's now almost 2 years old and she's only being feed timothy hay from a farmer who has bunnies of his own. It's a high quality hay with a slightly higher protein content. Her vet said she doesn't need pellets because the hay is great on it's own but she recommended trying to incorporate herbs into her diet. She is VERY sensitive so I'm worried. Does anyone have had similar experiences with their bunnies? Which herbs are the least likely to cause issues? Are fresh or dried herbs better?

The vet recommended dried dandelion root. She said they give bunnies with stasis dandelion root extract and it's great but I feel like it might be too rich for her. She occasionally gets a supplement called rodicare acute and a probiotic (fibreplex) although rodicare has to be given in moderation. I feel so bad the only treats she's getting are occasional apple/willow sticks. She also gets a tiny bit of critical care once in a while.

We've been talking about trying acupuncture or laser therapy to help her with her tummy after she gets spayed. I'm currently saving up for the surgery and medication. My vet has a 100% success rate with spays, even with older rabbits, she sees a lot of bunnies but we've both been hesitant due to my bunny being so sensitive. We recently decided to do it because my bunny has started to go through false pregnancies and developed a UTI so I don't really have a choice. I would also appreciate some advice for spay aftercare.

I'm sorry this post is a bit of a mess. I'm really bad at these 😅

Hi! I have a friend who's bunny is also prone to stasis and I would recommend Sage for bunnies prone to stasis, it boosts their over all health and immune system also basil is a great one, any herbs that arent dry and are pretty moist or wet help aid in moving their digestive system along, hope that helps! 🤗

Hi, Fresh Dandelion flowers and stalks from the lawn are great for bunnies, as they help immune systems, and the digestive track, (Vitamin C), you might not have any around.

Fresh Parsley and Basil, are nice gentle herbs for bunnies, and they really enjoy them, and great for digestion.

Latest posts

Back