runny (and swollen?) eye - all of a sudden

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Floodcat

Reaction score
Hi, I am a new member living in Vancouver, BC. My elder bun, Bernard, has suddenly developed a runny left eye today. It *may* be slightly swollen on the upper side, around the tear duct. It seems a bit droopy or sleepy looking.

I am instantly worried about a tooth problem, although he was at the vet just recently for a stomach blockage issue a couple months ago and his teeth were checked then with no problems showing. (He is now fully recovered from the stomach issue.)

My main question at this point in time (Saturday night....of course this is always the time when Bernard decides to have something go wrong!) is: do I need to treat this as an emergency, or am I probably OK waiting it out until I can get a regular vet appointment early in the coming week?

A few more particulars: Bernard is a brown, short-haired rabbit. I have no idea of what breed(s) he may be, although our vet has him listed as part Flemish Giant. He is on the big side, but not huge, about 4 pounds. He turned 8 years old this summer and is neutered. His life-long partner (sister, Bernice) passed away this February; he's had a new friend (Sylvia, spayed 5yr old) for a few months now.

Other than the eye, Bernard is acting completely fine: eating with his usual enthusiasm, litter box habits are normal, currently lounging with Sylvia in his regular routine for the evening. He has not been scratching, washing or fussing with his eye at all. When I handled him this evening to get a closer look, he showed no sign of discomfort when I was running my hands over his head and face and mouth.

Any thoughts?

Could be any number of things but with a sudden onset like this....my first thought is some type of irritation to the cornea...maybe a abrasion. Unless the swelling gets really bad, I would suggest flushing the eye with sterile eye wash (same as humans use) and keep the eye lubricated with basic eye drops. I prefer the gel type artificial tears and administer them 4-6 times per day. A vet visit is in order to stain the eye to check for corneal issues.....or to eliminate that possibility.

And as far as the teeth, it is not possible to visually do a proper exam....that has to include x-rays especially to see the position of the molar roots. A visual exam gives only a limited view of the tips of the pre-molars and most forward molars....but doesn't in any way give any idea about the roots.

Randy

Many thanks for these suggestions, I will try the eye flushing and drops, while we arrange for a vet appt this week. His last vet check did include xrays, which is why I'm assuming that it's not (fingers crossed) a tooth problem.

Thanks! His eye almost looks normal today, the tearing has stopped and it doesn't look as puffy. We gave him artificial tear gel today which he had no problem with. The sclera is still quite red though.

Maybe it was all 'much ado about nothing' but at age 8 I am quite paranoid about anything abnormal. We're waiting to hear back from Dr Martinez to make an appointment, look forward to checking him out.

That is leading me to some type of irritation. I would certainly have your vet "stain" the eye just in case something is going on. A corneal abrasion can ulcerate and that brings on an entirely new set of problems. Better safe than sorry.

Randy

I agree that a corneal abrasion or some irritant that got into the eye caused this. It should be looked at, just in case, I think. However, I have access to great vets for only $25 for an office visit, so it's a lot cheaper for me to buy peace of mind than some people. ;)

Back