Rumors

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Legacygirl

Reaction score
hello

I read on internet about some rumors.

1:They said all of us rabbit breeders are bad people, all of us don't care about our rabbits.

2: They label all of us breeders rabbits mill.

3: They tell people not to buy rabbits from breeders.

All I want to understand is why are they saying all of these things about us and why are they so against us?

Where did you read that? Just out of curiousity. I know that some people are against breeders of any animal. I wouldn't worry about them. If you take care of your animals and can get them medical attention if the situation calls for it, you are fine.;) It is a problem when people, even breeders, have far too many animals they can properly care for.:X

Don't worry, this forum is open to all pet lovers including breeders and people who just love rabbits but don't have one. :D

Sharon

Some people think breeders are what's causing there to be so many rabbits in shelters so are against breeding. Ok,"backyard breeders" might be contributing to this but not responsible breeders. The real cause IMO is lack of education of rabbit care and bad owners.:(

Personally I am open to getting a bunny from anywhere, to me they all deserve homes.:D

If I were you I'd just ignore it, as long as you are breeding responsibly, like not deliberately cross breeding, taking sick bunnies to the vetetc. then you are fine.:)

Just my:twocents (BTW I am not a breeder)

I think that unresponsible breeding is contributing to unwanted rabbits ending up in shelters. Breeders are usually very careful, and choose to breed animals. They are doing it for the love of a certain breed. I wouldn't take it personally, some people can be a**holes.

~Star~

PS. I am not a breeder either, I don't even own more than 1 rabbit!

First of all, you're going to read lots of things on the internet....and they aren't all true (as we know).

Folks need to remember that never is anything "always". Like breeders are "always" breeding mills. WRONG. Breeders always over breed their rabbits. WRONG.

But I've also learned that folks are going to believe what they want...so rather than argue with them...I move on.

I understand why they push for folks to adopt from shelters and we have many mods on this board (along with forum members) who encourage folks to adopt from a shelter - sometimes even before considering a breeder.

I look at it this way. Folks need to adopt from where they want to adopt and where they find the bunny of their heart. It may be from a breeder. It may be from a shelter. It may be from a pet store. But ultimately, the choice is up to them.

I'm too busy with my rabbits and my customers to worry about what folks say on the internet.

Peg

Legacygirl wrote:
hello

I read on internet about some rumors.

1:They said all of us rabbit breeders are bad people, all of us don't care about our rabbits.

2: They label all of us breeders rabbits mill.

3: They tell people not to buy rabbits from breeders.

All I want to understand is why are they saying all of these things about us and why are they so against us?

I think it's unfortunate that many rescue people are so very anti-breeder, but I can understand why. Every time I walk into the local Humane Society, there are all sorts of rabbits including some from breeders. I've seen several fabulous looking (to me) holland lops and perfectly marked dutch as well as crossbreeds labeled as new fancy breeds that are "super special" etc. Plus the breeders that sell a lot of rabbits to pet stores and even breed more often just to sell more to them... Then there's the people that breed rabbits for fun,with no care about breed standards or even a goal for breeding the rabbits such as an improvement in body type or breed development. Honestly there seem to be quite a few rabbit breeders that fit the stereotypes in my area so I understand why rescue people fuss.

I think what's important is for rabbit breeders to prove these stereotypes wrong. I've met quite a few breeders here that I respect a lot that don't fit the stereotypes at all. They make an effort to be responsible breeders, which I think is very important. I really like that many of the breeders here have a return policy asking that if the rabbit is rehomed for any reason that it goes back to the original breeder, and they try to educate the new owners first before selling them a rabbit. Efforts like this can drastically reduce the number of *your* rabbits that wind up abandoned in a shelter.

Here's some basic info on responsible breeding, from the bottom of this website:
http://www.rabbited.0catch.com/RESstandards.html
[font="Verdana,Helvetica,Arial"]The Rabbit Education Society Standard For Responsible Breeding[/font] [font="Verdana,Helvetica,Arial"]Anyone breeding rabbits must recognize the need for responsibility towards the animals. [/font]
[font="Verdana,Helvetica,Arial"]A Responsible Rabbit Breeder: [/font]
[font="Verdana,Helvetica,Arial"]-Will not contribute to the abandoned rabbit problem by abandoning rabbits in the wild. Breeders may have a"Take Back" policy for every rabbit you sell, whether for show,breeding, or as a pet. However it is not a requirement because pet owners need to accept responsibility for the animals they purchase as pets. If "rescue" groups, individuals, or even animal shelters actively solicit or advertise for unwanted rabbits to sell to the public it is not considered irresponsible to give them rabbits. Rabbit "rescuers" as well "rescuers" of other species have been known to purchase rabbits at auctions. This is not "rescue" nor should they falsely advertise these rabbits as "abandoned" by breeders. [/font]
[font="Verdana,Helvetica,Arial"]-Will not over breed rabbits.Over breeding is defined as producing more animals than responsible outlets for culls can be found. Suitable outlets for culls include:pets, show/breeding stock, consumption by humans or other animals, lab use, & fur. [/font]
[font="Verdana,Helvetica,Arial"]-Will put the health and welfare of their animals first. Health problems will be treated as soon as possible and treatment includes euthanasia. Rabbits will not be allowed to suffer. However a responsible breeder is not expected to put a lot of time or money into treating health problems. The needs of the many out weigh the needs of the one. For most health problems there is either an easy cure or you can never cure it. Health problems such as snuffles that can't be cured places the entire herd at risk and euthanasia is often the most responsible choice. [/font]
[font="Verdana,Helvetica,Arial"]-Good husbandry practices as accepted by the American Rabbit Breeders Association and/or the Rabbit Education Society will be followed. [/font]
[font="Verdana,Helvetica,Arial"]-Euthanasia will be done using a humane method as recommended by the ARBA, RES, or other rabbit breeders organization. [/font]
[font="Verdana,Helvetica,Arial"]-Only sells rabbits that are properly weaned and not too young to leave the rabbitry. [/font]
[font="Verdana,Helvetica,Arial"]-If a breeder sells to a pet store they will only deliver healthy rabbits who have been properly weaned and are not underage. They will also provide the pet store with written care instructions to be passed on to the new owner. [/font]
[font="Verdana,Helvetica,Arial"]-They will deal with reputable and responsible pet stores who sell healthy, properly sexed and aged rabbits and provide written instructions to the pet owner. [/font]
[font="Verdana,Helvetica,Arial"]-Will Breed to ensure genetic abnormalities are not perpetuated, that healthy rabbits conforming to the American Rabbit Breeders Assoc. breed standard are produced. [/font]
[font="Verdana,Helvetica,Arial"]-Will educate every rabbit buyer and provide written care instructions[/font]
[font="Verdana,Helvetica,Arial"]-Will be honest and reputable[/font]

Latest posts

Back