Round PERFECT poo's and how does this happen?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

juliew19673

Reaction score
Rabbits have an incredible knack to make the most "PERFECT" turds - so as my co-workers have gotten to know my bun Baxter! they became "FASCINATED" with his poo (which is not that much off the radar from us all - as you "watch poo output" incase it changes).

One co-worker brought up the fact that he didn't know of another animal that "lays" out poo that is so "Evenly" shaped, as if buns had a small elf in their intestines that theirjob was to put together "snow-balls" that buns lay down - LOL!

Made me laugh and I had no answer.. other than a buns gut works 24/7? But am now curious why do buns have snow balls for poo? My Cat does not, my coworkers dogs do not and "I" do not so whats with buns? LOL!:D

I can't wait to hear the answer to this either!! How funny your coworkers are poop converts. Ya gotta admit, it's a lot easier to clean up than dog/cat poop.

We most often hear about peristaltic intestinal movement that propels the fecal matter through the intestine. However, there are also segmental contractions- ring-like contractions that mix intestinal contents. Theserhythmic contractions also serve to "cut" the contents into consistently shaped small pieces that round out as peristaltic contractions push them through the intestinal tract.

The high fiber content aids in keeping the shape of the fecal pellet seen in most herbivores. We have the same type of intestinal movements, butbecause of our lower fiber diet, we don't have perfectly shaped balls of fecal matter.

Pam

Here's my non-scientific theory: Bunny poop is mostly round and firmbecause it's easier (and--dare I say--more enjoyable) to handle as such. (Imagine having to inspect cat or dog poop as closely....:?)

I contend that if all species had small, round, firm poop (with good handle-ability), we'd probably be flinging it like monkeys just for fun....;) So, in that sense, ickier (non-small/round/firm) poop somewhat keeps us in line....:biggrin2:

:roflmao: More enjoyable to handle! You're kind of right!I would rather handle rabbit poo any day of the week compared to any other type of poo. Gixxer is going through an AWFUL moult and I've been breaking up some of his poos to see how much hair is in them...how many non "bunny people" would be able to relate to that!

RexyRex wrote:
:roflmao: More enjoyable to handle! You're kind of right!I would rather handle rabbit poo any day of the week compared to any other type of poo. Gixxer is going through an AWFUL moult and I've been breaking up some of his poos to see how much hair is in them...how many non "bunny people" would be able to relate to that!
It may be twisted of me to admit, but I view handling rabbit poop as a form of a challege--a game, even. It's like testing my vision and dexterity to see how much poop I can spot and inspect within (and/or pluck out of) the litter box without taking hay or litter with it. I think of it as playing Operation ("Don't touch the sides!").

:laugh:

you people are SICK! sick, i tell you! but kinda funny, to.......................i guess that makes me a little sick too:shock::grumpy:.

Latest posts

Back