Romeo seems to have ticks...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kestrelcrowe

Reaction score
So yeah.
I'm not sure if maybe these were just random occurences, or if it was the same tick and I didn't kill it all the way yesterday.. but I found another tiny reddish brown tick in Romeo's fur. the ones I've found haven't been attached to him, but he does have some scabs on him that I've found.

He also shakeshis head and scratches alot - the vet once told me he just had a build up of earwax, and gave me some stuff for it, but he won't let me touch his ears and get it in.

Argh.

Help?

I would take the insect to the vet to have him positively identify it. The vet can prescribe a topical medication that kills ticks and also will be able to apply the ear medication while you are there.

Pam

You might also do well to have the earwax cultured by a vet. Head shaking could indicate a bacterial ear infection, which can get very nasty if not treated soon enough.

I recently took in a rabbit who was running loose in the wooded area near my parents home. He had 10-20 small ticks nestled in around his neck and ears. What a nightmare! Usually, if it is a tick it will have its head burrowed in. You can remove it with tweezers, just make sure you get the head. Pull straight out and put the tick in alcohol. Thats the best way to make sure its dead. I used a flea/tick spray for small animals and I thought that was working well until I took him to the vet and they found one more on his underside. They treated him with an injection of Invermectin. Its been about a month and I havent seen any more nasty bugs on the little guy. Your vet should be able to help you remove any more bugs and treat them accordingly. Good Luck!

Latest posts

Back