Resting and Nibbling...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jenk

Reaction score
Does yourrabbit(s) lie around (for maybe 10-15 min.), get up to stretch/eat/drink, and then flop back down again--and repeat this cycle? It seems counterproductive to me (in terms of genuine rest), but what do I (a silly human) know? ;)

Jenk

Since they are prey animals they are hard-wired to be on the alert for danger;;

ex. last night there was a young wild cottontail eating grass in the middle of my backyard. Since I needed to get to the back gate i tried to do it without disturbing the rabbit.
I went out of my way to go all the way over to the bushes on the opposite side of the yard to move towards the back ; at this point the rabbit froze but did not move. I thought that I had not frightened him but when I turned at the back gate he was gone.

Even most domestic rabbits become alert easily; it is normal for them to graze rest, move ..graze rest, move etc.

I had to laugh at the thought of you traipsing around the yard to avoid scaring the wild bunny. :biggrin2: (I do the same thing,as well as sweet talkingthem to try to put them more at ease.)

My final consensus: Rabbits are weird--in their perfectly normal, rabbity way.;)

Jenk

Oh yes, Snuff does this alot. It's funny how quickly he decides he's thirsty too:p. But, yes, he'll get up and eat a little, lay back down, repeat the cycle. They should get "genuine rest" alot during the day, as they are crepuscular.

Oh wow yes in Boo's case she does not like having to exert to much if any energy lol. In fact right now Alfie is doing the most sensible thing and sleeping with his chin propped on his food bowl saves him having to take a wander when he gets hungry lmbo

AngelnSnuffy wrote:

They should get "genuine rest" alot during the day, as they are crepuscular.

I love that word, crepuscular. You can toss it out at parties and manage to impress everyone within earshot--even non-pet lovers. ;) (You should've seen the look on my parents' faces when I first used it while talking with them about bunnies. :D)

Hmm mine do that too I never seem to see them drink though...

Becca

I've never seen Ronnie do this, because I've never seen Ronnie sleep! That bunny is ready to come out of his cage no matter what time it is.

Billy, on the other hand, does this all the time...mostly when I'm trying to get him to come out of his cage. He flops, I poke him awake, he stretches and yawns at me, then he starts grooming himself so I think he's prettying himself up to come out, but no. He goes over to his food and water, then when he's done he flops again. This cycle continues from about 3 pm to 8 pm. He's become such a lazy bunny! :X

Little Bay Poo wrote:
I've never seen Ronnie do this, because I've never seen Ronnie sleep! That bunny is ready to come out of his cage no matter what time it is.

Billy, on the other hand, does this all the time...mostly when I'm trying to get him to come out of his cage. He flops, I poke him awake, he stretches and yawns at me, then he starts grooming himself so I think he's prettying himself up to come out, but no. He goes over to his food and water, then when he's done he flops again. This cycle continues from about 3 pm to 8 pm. He's become such a lazy bunny! :X
Ahhh...Billy and Ronnie... They can do no wrong in my eyes. :inlove:

So what you're saying is that aND can either be completely non-stop, or s/he can be more balanced (in terms of sleep/wakefulness).

Jenk wrote:
AngelnSnuffy wrote:

They should get "genuine rest" alot during the day, as they are crepuscular.

I love that word, crepuscular. You can toss it out at parties and manage to impress everyone within earshot--even non-pet lovers. ;) (You should've seen the look on my parents' faces when I first used it while talking with them about bunnies. :D)
LOL, I had to look it up, didn't have it at the top of my head! Couldn't even pronounce it at first, haha.:D

AngelnSnuffy wrote:
LOL, I had to look it up, didn't have it at the top of my head! Couldn't even pronounce it at first, haha.:D
Maybe so...But now you know it, can correctly pronounce it and, thus, can toss it out at parties. ;)

Jenk wrote:
AngelnSnuffy wrote:
Maybe so...But now you know it, can correctly pronounce it and, thus, can toss it out at parties. ;)
People round here think I'm nuts as it is about bunnies...:ponder::rollseyes. It wouldn't come up in a million years, haha.

Latest posts

Back