RESOLVED Peanut's having gas we think

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TinysMom

Reaction score
You know how you know all the answers till it happens to you and your mind goes blank and you read instructions and its like reading gobbly gook? Especially if it is 2 am....

Well....Peanut was all hunched up in the back of her cage earlier today. I took her out and checked her but put her back - her mama was paying attention to her. Art thought maybe she'd just been nursed cause her tummy was so full.

When I fed the rabbits - she did eat some - but I was really concerned about her and I asked Robin to keep an eye on her.

We now suspect she might have gas. Her tummy is distended - but not hard (like bloat).

We gave her simethicone - had her run around on the bed for a bit and when Robin came back for her - Robin found about 4 poops in the area where she had been playing. I also gave her a drop of metacam - not a full drop...just a tiny bit with her simethicone. The idea was just enough to help w/ any pain....not that she was gritting her teeth.

We now have her and her mama and siblings playing in the living room for the next couple of hours while she has two more doses of simethicone (once an hour for three hours is what I'm used to). She's not as active as her siblings - but she is still being active. She was just chewing on hay when I left the living room a few minutes ago.

Is there anything else we should do? I'm heading back to bed and I'll have Robin log in and check this thread...

I thought about putting down some flavored pedialyte but I figured she might get the spoiled bunny syndrome and not drink water if she could avoid it...so I wanted to be careful on that.

I have seen her eat some tonight...its just the fact that her tummy is so distended that worries me.

I would have her out in the living room alone - but I thought she would run and play more with her siblings around.

Here's some of Peanuts pictures - she's just a tiny little thing and for the first few weeks of her life I expected to lose her every day....so I really don't want to lose her now...

DSCN2823PeanutandTaylor.jpg

DSCN2654.jpg

Peg

P.S. I think I'm more used to stasis than gas which is why I feel so brain dead about this now....

Edited to add..she's the little tort...

Oh the dreaded gas! Sounds like you are doing everything right, hopefully the simethicone will kick in soon and really start helping. I wonder about gentle tummy massagesif you don't think it's bloatmight help or a heated rice sock (just an idea, she might not need it if she's still active and maintaining a good body temp)?

Good luck! At least with most cases of gas that I've dealt with at night, they've been back to their normal self in the morning.

She did better and went back in her cage this morning w/ her littermates but her tummy wasn't so distended...I think that not only the gas meds helped but the running around and playing too.

Peg

Latest posts

Back