Rescue bunny coming home

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brandyirish

Reaction score
Hi all! I'm new to the board and have a rescuebunny coming to live with me at the end of this week. He was rescued bya traveling petting zoo and is coming to live with me. His currentowner is bring a cage and water bottle. Would anyone care to share alist of what I should have when he arrives? I read all the beginningguides, and maybe this is just a duh moment for me, but I'm having ahard time figuring out exactly what I should have on hand. I know he iscurrently on timothy hay and has pellets available at all times. Healso gets a steady diet of fresh veggies. So other than food what do Iabsolutely have to have until I can better assess his personality andneeds? Because I have a six yr old who would still rather play with theboxes than the toys I have plenty of those as well as some baby keys,etc. But what about bedding, etc?
I'm so excited to be getting him although I don't know much about himor even seen him. The owner tells me he is brown and looks like a wildrabbit, although I made sure that he is a domestic rabbit. Any hints onpossible breeds? I will be posting pics when he gets here so I can waituntil then.
Thank you so much for all the information and love of bunnies you sharehere and in advance for providing my silly head with a list.
Brandy

Warmest Welcome to the forum, brandyirish,

-You'll want to get a good, fresh rabbit pellet with at least 18% crudeprotein. Best to purchase from a feed store to ensurefreshness.

-Plenty of Timothy Hay

-Water bottle or a bowl, whichever you prefer. I like the waterbottles myself.

-It's good to have some NutriCal on hand, but if you're not in theStates, it might be hard to come by. Parsley will helppromote his appetite if he doesn't eat.

-Don't use Cedar shavings as a litter.

-Be sure to keep him dry because if he is exposed to sitting in soiled shavings or the like, it can cause him to get sick.

-A Hay Rack is suggested so that he doesn't eat hay that he has soiled on, which could make him sick.

-I don't recommend giving him carpet in his cage as they sometimesingest it and it can entangle their intestines, it can cut theintestinal tract, or it can become a blockage that can't be removedunless surgery is done.

-A couple of toys, like bird toys, they enjoy.

-They love to play in brown paper bags, the end of a roll of toilet paper stuffed with hay.

-A corner litterbox seems to be preferred for most rabbits.

We're very happy for you and Bless Your Heart for saving a life.

:) Let us know when he arrives - we'd love to see pictures.

-Carolyn

Welcome!

So exciting that you're getting a new bunny, especially a rescue. :)

It sounds like you're well on your way already. You already know aboutthe constant supply of hay, and Timothy hay is the best bet for them. Iprovide lots of things for my rabbits to chew on, such as untreatedwicker and cardboard.

To begin with, I'd let the bunny get used to you and his newsurroundings. He may be a bit stressed out, wouldn't we be? I am surehe'll adjust in no time though.

Are you planning on letting him have free range of a certain room? Ifso, make sure you bunny-proof it. Rabbits love to chew and one of theirfavorite things to chew on is wires. So tuck them away or cover themwith some sort of tubing. I think I can speak for most of us here whenI say we've all had to replace some sort of wire, be it phone, computeror what have you.

I also keep out a carrier for my rabbits. They like to sleep in it, orjust hang out and watch their surroundings. And like I said earier,lots of rabbit safe things for them to chew on, toss around and playwith.

Make sure they are no wires around that he can chew on and carpet is not very good for them either.

Thank you for such quick answers!
Do I need bedding? Or would hay double duty as bedding? Making sure Ireplace frequently of course. What do I need on the bottom of the cageI guess is my question. I'm not even sure what kind of cage she isbringing so I may be changing that soon as well.

Greetings Brandy,

Welcome to the forum!!

First ....adopting a rescue bunnie is the best in my book.

Second....I wouldn't use hay for bedding in case it gets soiled. Use ahay rack for the hay and use a good bedding material for the cage.Bedding differs a lot in price and preference. NO CEDAR.

Here's a grat site for info: http://www.rabbit.org

Good luck and post some pics when you can!

Jim

With wire floor, you just need to put some pineshavings(thats what I use for litter) under the wire on the floor sincebunnies sometimes go to the washroom outside of litter box and it wouldfall through the wire.

AnnaS wrote:
Withwire floor, you just need to put some pine shavings(thats what I usefor litter) under the wire on the floor since bunnies sometimes go tothe washroom outside of litter box and it would fall through thewire.
If the cage has a wire bottom make sure the bun has somewhere to getoff of it or they may spend a lot of time laying/sitting in theirlitter box. Their paws are soft bottomed and not designed to be onwire. A resting board can be used.

My buns love their blankies and that what they lay on most of the time.I buy baby blankets and cut them to size so the buns can paw and rollthem around until they are "just right" then it a bunny flop and off tosleep:p.

Jim

Yeah you are right, they need somewhere to sleep,maybe cardboard?. Our bunny usually goes to sleep in his carriereanyway, but his cage is open all the time.

Oh yeah! another bunny getting a family home! :)

Good luck with getting him all settled in, and be sure to have adisposable camera or a digital camera! It's a must withBunnies! ;)

I haven't gotten him yet. I will pick up all thesupplies tomorrow and should have him at the end of the week, possiblyas late as Monday.
I can't wait!

opps sorry u did say end of the week. Guessi am a little impatient!!!

Back