Red, teary, watery eye

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andreabaylon

Reaction score
So I went into my daughter's room to give Brian, our 4 month old mini rex/dutch/netherland mix some hay when I noticed that his left eye was all watery and red (redder than usual) and the fir around his eye was kinda matted down from the water. I used a special animal eye wipe to cleanse the area but it's still watery. Any thoughts on what this could be or how I could treat it before it gets any worse?:)

He needs to see a vet who is knowledgeable with rabbits. Itmay be an eye infection like conjunctivitis( or another bacterial infection) which would require antibiotic drops and/or it could be an injury for ex. sometimes a piece of hay can poke into a rabbit's eye causing irritation.

Teeth problems can also cause eye problems but in a rabbit that young I doubt that is the issue.

:yeahthat:

If you have any triple antibiotic ointment (like normal neosporin), you can apply that to the eye. Teramycin eye ointment is also fine. It should be ointment (oil-based) and not cream (water-based). Disinfect the tip of the tube before applying it to the eye.

Still, go to a vet to see what the underlying cause is. It could be something as simple as a bit of hay in the eye, to conjuntivitis, or as serious as a tooth root infection.

Latest posts

Back