Red Spots Between Shoulder Blades

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobbyv

Reaction score
Hi All,

We recently noticed a very small patch of a couple red spots between our bunny's shoulder blades. He was stretching his neck out for some food when we noticed it. At first, I thought it might be a cut or scratch, but now I'm not so sure. When he stretches his neck out, there is a small, bare patch with the red spots.
We are currently treating "Beans" for massive amounts of Coccidia, but I don't think this is related at all.
I'm definitely considering taking him to our exotic vet to find out what it might be, but it's an hour drive, so I want to see what this might be.

Thank you:)

BobbyV

Can you give us some more info like breed? age? other medical issues? what is the treatment you are using for coocidia ?

is this rabbit housed with another rabbit?

has this rabbit been treated recently with any anti parasitics topically or injectable >

any and all info will help and so would a photo if you can get one

Hi,

Our bunny is a 6 month old netherland dwarf and is being given SMZ-TMP orally twice a day. He is not being treated for any other diseases and is our only bunny. I'm guessing "ringworm", but I don't know. Unable to get any pictures so far.

Thanks,

BobbyV

Our resident expert, Randy (ra 7751)would disagree vehemently with using this drug on a rabbit anf particularly a young one.Sulfa drugs have the tendencyfor major disruption of the natural GI flora .

it doesn't sound like that is your present problem , howeverI did pull up a printout of side-effects for this drug. This is actually a printout for humans but many times the subjects that have been tested on were lab rabbits

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_trimethoprim_sulfa.html

Iwould not dismiss the thought that this is a reaction to large doses of sulfa drugs.
( my nonprofessional opinion)

A much better drug for the treatment of coccidia is not yet common knowledge for manyvets. It is a drug originally made for the equine community and is called Ponazuril.

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=2832&S=1&SourceID=52

you may want to talk with your vet about this drug and print out the info..also stating that you learned this from a rabbits only website.
if you do continue the trimethoprim sulfa be sure and give your rabbit a probiotic ike benebac which can be purchased at stores like petco or petsmart. the powder for cats and dogs is also acceptable for use in rabbits.

let us know what happens andalso haveyour vet check out the sores

I am also not a fan of sulfa drugs due to GI side effects.

I also wonder if you are in the UK? Did he get vaccinated lately, and/or did he get Revolution or Advantage treatment (for mites, etc)?

Ringworm is a definite possibility. A topical cream is probably the treatment, but I wouldn't just get a human ringworm cream because they might not be safe for ingestion by the bunny who licks himself constantly.

It could also be fur mites.

Latest posts

Back