Recovering from flystrike

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chuckface

Reaction score
Hi all! new here. I have one large seal point lop called Popper who is around 6 years old. We are the second owners as his previous owners were children who had completely lost interest in him, and practically left him to rot in a dirty cage.

I have had him for about 1.5 years now and up until yesterday he had never had any medical problems.

He lives outside in a hutch with a large run attached. I usually go out there once a day to check food/water give him a pat and a cuddle etc. yesterday when i checked him, i noticed his bottom was stickish. He has gotten messy before down there and as i always do, i went and prepared a shallow warm bath for him to soak his bottom in. About 5 minutes into it, i noticed tiny little worms coming off him. then it hit me....

I held him and turned him over and he was infested with them. they were everywhere and had dug a hole right through him next to his bum and also taken off a huge layer of skin off his thigh. I rang the vet and booked it, but seeing as i am about 45 minutes drive away form the nearest vet i felt i needed to get as many as possible off him before the car trip. I probably spent about 15 minutes continually rinsing and picking maggots off him and got the majority off him before racing him to the vet.

My vet shaved him and examined the damage. saying that it was definitely extensive and she would need to do surgery on him to know exactly how bad. She gave me the option of puttign him down there and then but we decided to give him a chance and left him there for the surgery.

about 3 hours later i got the most miraculous call of my life, saying that they hadn't spread that badly, mainly surface damage and that she had removed them all. He was recovering and already looking for something to eat!

I was so relieved. Seeing him that way i felt absolute pure guilt. The sight was past horrific. and he was so good through all of it. it was like he knew we needed to help him.

I am picking him up this afternoon depending on how the wounds have stitched up/how they are healing. Im sure my vet will tell me how to prepare for him and how to look after him for his healing time, but i wanted to be prepared and here it from u guys out there too.

He will most definitely be inside. I have medium sized cage for him that looks like this only larger: http://www.dabners.co.uk/product-3327-imac-cavia-80.html

What substances should i be using as his substrate? I am worried about things sticking to his wounds. Is it best to cover up the cage with a towel so he can rest quietly? is newspaper ok? he usually gets a towel to sleep on, would it be ok for him to have this again? (after its washed.)

Also, in his outdoor run, he has pretty much free range access to grass 24/7. is this what caused the issue in the first place? other than grass he gets a good quality rabbit mix, plus usually a carrot, apple, celery etc whatever seems to be in the fridge, it varies alot. I used to give him alfalfa hay but since he got the new run he hasnt been touching it.

sorry to write a novel!! i am so glad he pulled through and just want to have everything right for my poor boy. he was so good through everything. hes always been such a friendly easygoing rabbit. i am so lucky to have him. :D

I would use a towel in his cage. His butt may have to be washed to keep it clean. Often the primary cause of flystrike is diarrhea that sticks to the bum and attracts flies. It would be best to keep him inside if you can while he's healing at least. Also, he should have a grass hay (alfalfa is a legume hay) like Timothy, orchard, oat, or meadow hay. That can help him to not have messy poops. You also mentioned that he has a rabbit mix--those really aren't very high quality at all. It should be just plain pellets, not the stuff that looks like "froot loops" as we say.

Latest posts

Back