Raphael

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bassetluv

Reaction score
It's been 18 days since my beloved companion Raph left this world, his purpose here done and most likely, off to another. I had wanted to write a tribute to him, but each time I sat down to type the words, they failed to come. I simply couldn't think of anything to say that would honor such a courageous spirit, and I felt that anything I did write would be considerably less than he deserved.

So I thought instead, I would write a very brief description of my little guy. He was most certainly a charmer in every way, and given the chance he would probably have been a suave Don Juan with the ladies. He had a wisdom to him, a knowledge carried through from countless lifetimes, and a beautiful soul to match. He was my 'Buddha in a fur coat', as I once described him, and all it would take would be one look into those huge, soul-filled eyes to understand what I saw in him.

Raph - Raphael - was named after the archangel of healing. A few years previous I had been through a rather rough time myself - physically, mentally, spiritually - and I desperately needed someone to come into my life to help me with my struggles. Though I didn't understand it at the time, that's exactly what Raph did; he entered my life just when I needed him, and he became not only a healer, but a teacher...one of the best I've ever had. He taught me about wisdom, about accepting pain with enormous grace, about unconditional, unlimitless love, and ultimately, about letting go without blame, or anger, or fear. He also taught me that letting go certainly did not mean 'forever'; instead, it is a temporary separation, but only on the physical level. Raph has not left me, for I feel him with me every moment of the day, guiding me with his wisdom, comforting me with his memories, and embracing me with his love.

Every day I miss my boy terribly. And yet at the same time I know he is here, and he is encouraging me, telling me not to mourn his life, but to celebrate it eagerly...and to know that no matter what physical constraints there may be, he will never abandon me, nor I him. I think of the line from Shakespeare that says, "Parting is such sweet sorrow" and I now understand the depth of those words only too well.

So my tribute to Raph lies in the fact that he came to me, an unassuming teacher, cloaked in the disguise of a long-eared, clumsy, whimsical rabbit with the most soulful, intelligent eyes...and carrying inside of him the wisdom of the ages. He taught me the most valuable of all lessons I think I shall ever learn...that the gift of love is oftentimes painful, but it is always, always worth it. And in letting go of him in his physical passing, I learned to embrace him in spirit, and to acknowledge the fact that I was so extraordinarily blessed to have known him, and to have recognized what a magnificent spirit he possessed.

What a gift he gave to me. And I shall cherish it always.

I miss you, my boy...

Love,

'Mom'

What wonderful tribute you have given him, Bassettluv..I am so very sorry that you lost him
I did not know that he was even sick

Your tribute to him was very touching and wise..I know that you will miss him but that you'll:angelandbunny:, be OK.

Inamed my new bunny Gabriel after the angel

rafael.jpg

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c41/mikoli1201/rafael.jpg

R.I.P Beautiful Raphael. Your memory lives on in those whose hearts you touched.

angieluv wrote:
What wonderful tribute you have given him, Bassettluv..I am so very sorry that you lost him
I did not know that he was even sick

Inamed my new bunny Gabriel after the angel

Angieluv, thank you :)

Almost 3 weeks ago now I decided to end Raph's life, as he was going through an awful lot...muscle spasms that meds didn't help, not able to drink on his own, not able to sit up on his own...his condition had worsened dramatically over the past several months. I'm sure had I decided to keep him going on pain meds and tending his needs, he would have stayed, and would have continued on for some time to come...but there was no true quality of life any more. It was an enormously heartwrenching decision for me to make, but I think it was best for Raph.

I love that you named your bunny Gabriel! You know, until a few years ago I never believed in the existence of angels, and didn't even realize there were people who did. I didn't even realize there were specific angels with names...I'd believed that angels were made up to serve as part of the Christmas hype (can you tell how uneducated I was in religion? lol). But I'll tell you what happened to me. One evening I was sitting in my backyard, extremely despondent over someone I'd lost contact with...a very special man, very close to my heart. I had been missing him terribly, and so that night I was on my back doorstep crying, when suddenly I heard someone speak to me. Only, the voice wasn't coming from outside...it was a voice on the inside...a male voice who spoke softly, yet with authority. It said, "Learn to love yourself and the rest will fall into place". I was startled, to say the least, and several moments later - through my tears - I asked, "Who is this?" And I heard, though not distinctly, three words: 'Daniel', 'Archangel', and 'Gabriel'. I remember thinking to myself, 'This can't be real...I must be making it up', but I decided to go inside and do a search on Google, just to see what it would come up with. So I did, entering a search for those 3 words. And to say I was stunned by what came up in the results would be an understatement. I discovered that Gabriel was an archangel who was cited in the Book of Daniel. He apparently watched over anyone who was born on a Monday, he was known to come to those in their hour of despair with words of comfort, and he was an angel in charge of all forms of communication, including overseeing writers and those involved with other forms of communication. I had been born on a Monday, I had always held writing as one of my strongest interests, and I'd never before heard of archangel Gabriel - not until that moment outdoors. From that moment on I knew that angels existed, and many times since then I've seen and heard of things involving angels that are simply amazing. So I think your bunny Gabriel is indeed well-named. :)

Mikoli,

What can I say? You have touched me so deeply with that picture...oh, how beautiful it is...such a warm and loving tribute to Raph! All I can say is thank you from the bottom of my heart for creating it...it is enormously comforting. I've downloaded a copy, and will treasure it forever.

Thank you so much....:hug2:

~Di

I got chills when I read what happened to you bassettluv..that's amazing..I wish something like that would happen to me.
I went to Catholic schools my entire grammar schoolthrough college and learned about michael, Raphael and Gabriel and the others. The devil is supposed to be a fallen angel.
Nothing supernatural has ever happened to me making me a doubter.
Anyway I like the name Raphael and Gabriel and also Michael
My Gabriel needed an angel himself if you look back and read the post on Lolita (I thought he was a she)

Mikoli..what a wonderful picture

He was still too thin inthat picture but he looks better now.

Anyway I don't want to steal bassetluv's thread about raph because I know he was very special to her as she posted about him a lot in the past.
Raph just went home to the other angels ....

Di, that was a beautiful tribute to Raph.

He was certainly a very special boy. He had so much to deal with, and yet continued to show such love and character. Your story together touched so many of us here. I, for one, will never forget him.

God Bless, Raph. Look after your mom and Anna!

Jan

Your tribute was beautiful. There is no doubt he was a special rabbit. I'm so sorry for your loss.

I am so sorry Di, Raph is missed so much, and he will always be loved. :hug2:

Binky free at the Bridge Raph :rainbow:

Angieluv, your Gabriel is beautiful! I absolutely didn't mind you talking about him or posting his picture in this thread...I just have to apologize for not being around to have responded to your post, and all of the ones from others that followed. You have a very sweet little guy there, and with a very special name. ;)

Bunnylady...what an adorable picture you posted...thank you :) And thank you as well to all of you who posted that I didn't get to respond to earlier. I've discovered that overall I am getting on with life quite well - have even been looking for another English lop recently (though there have been a few snags) - and I think the emotions over Raph have gone down completely...until I come here and speak about him, or see some of the posts. Then the tears fall again. But that's all part of letting go. It just takes time...he was such a very special guy.

Anyway, if/when I ever do get another rabbit to be a companion for Anna (who, btw, is doing very well - despite needing to lose a few bunny pounds...at this moment she's streeeetched out in her litter box, snoozing), I'll start a new blog about them.

Thanks again to everyone...:hug:

Latest posts

Back