radishes

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SnowyShiloh

Reaction score
Hello! Can bunnies eat radishes? I've read in several places that they can have radish tops, but what about the radishes themselves? I bought some yesterday and they are very mild, they taste almost like mushrooms only crunchy. When lived in Austria, the radishes we grew practically made your mouth catch on fire. I gave Rory some of the radish greens last night and he seemed to like them. I felt guilty standing in the produce aisle grabbing a couple extra handfuls of radish tops for him!

I give Wash radishes a lot, he loves them. And so do our dogs :pI just treat is as a carrot though, not too much, just a wee bit every now and again.

Hi Katie! Do radishes have a lot of sugar in them? Interesting! Thanks for replying :biggrin2:

hmmm, I don't know about sugar content. I'll look it up on the lovely internets!

I DO know that they are mostly water (like cucumbers and iceberg lettuce) which it why I assumed they should only be used as a treat.

Yup, radishes are fine. I grow them in the garden, and my buns go absolutely nuts for the straight-from-the-garden greens. The greens in the grocery stores by me are usually half rotten.:(

None of mine really liked the actual radishes, but they are safe. I'd have to look it up, but I would think they'd be similar in sugar to a carrot since they are also root vegetables that are meant to store energy. So a treat, not a meal.

Okay, thanks guys! I'll see if Rory likes the radish itself. I was surprised by how fresh the greens looked on the ones at the store, which is why I bought them! And also why I grabbed some leaves from other bunches. People don't eat the greens, do they? I'd feel bad to be taking greens away from them. I often by organic carrot tops, the organic ones are the only carrots at our store that come with the tops. I actually don't even usually have to rip them off the carrots because other people do it so they don't have to pay for the tops and then they leave them there!

I used to feed radishes but not in any large quantity. I was unable to find many lists that actually had radishes on them but the few I did find actually had them labelled as poisonous to rabbits. So because I could not actually find any information to counteract that, I have just cut radishes out, but I still feed the tops.

Myfosters will eat radishes, don't know that they love them, but they seem to think they're okay, and Darry and Radar eat them, but towards the end of the dinner, so not overly popular, but good for the sake of variety every once in awhile. (It'sall aboutvariety around here).

The tops are pretty high calcium, so the white pee guys won't get them. Everybunny else likes them.

sas :)

Latest posts

Back