rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

picki

Reaction score
doyou have to take the male out of the cage after they mate, or can he stay untill she is having thebabys? then take him out. dawn

Hi there! Welcome to the forum!

I would take the male out of the cage after they mate. Female rabbits can become pregnant as soon as they give birth, and back to back litters like that are very hard on the doe and can be verydangerous. I would take him out now just to be safe.

Is there a particular reason for the breeding? :)

we just wanted her to have a mate. imnew at this whole thing, well she is 1 an a half. as soon as we put him in the cage with her he started you know, and so we assumed she was pregnant, well he did it a couple of times and then just stoped and hasnt done it for a couple of weeksbut the other day i saw him getting on her again, i thought thats odd, so i told my husband i think we need to take her out of the cage tomorrow, well it was to late i looked in the cage and she was dead, she was bleeding from her privite, i dont know what happen, if you can help me understand what happen that would great. i miss my little sammy(thats her name):(

Oh no!!

So sorry... :bigtears:

A year and a half is actually old for a first litter, their pelvic areas aren't very flexible, so 'stuck kits' and other complications are more likely. :(

Breeding bunnies really isn't easy, there are a lot of dangers.

I know it's too late now for this kind of advice, but maybe it will help others. Rabbits have to be monitored very closely if it's possible they're pregnant, you have to know the danger signs and be prepared for emergency treatment and the possible loss of the mother.

Here's a thread on breeding...

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=5541&forum_id=8

Again, really sorry you lost her. :(

sas :tears2:

Unfortunately, that's also a first sign of cancer. As she wasn't spayed, it's possible, but without a Necropsy(animal autopsy), you will never know for sure.

I'm sorry for your loss.

Binky free Sammy.:(

Possibly could have been a miscarriage. It's not really a good idea to mate any kind of animal without doing serious research, for just such reasons as this. I'm sorry you lost your doe, that's always hard.

im sorry your rabbit died.it sounds too me like complications from trying too give birth.I dont know what breed your rabbit is but many of the small breeds today have delivery difficultys.bluebird

It is always hard to lose a rabbit - but it is especially hard when you are looking forward to NEW life and not losing a rabbit.

If they were only together for a couple of weeks, I am guessing that she may have already had uterine cancer and that is why she passed away.

When you feel up to it - you may want to memorialize her in our rainbow bridge area...you can find it here:

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_forum.php?id=27

I'm very sorry for your loss. If it was uterine cancer...she would have passed away anyway fairly soon I think.

Peg

picki wrote:
we just wanted her to have a mate. imnew at this whole thing, well she is 1 an a half. as soon as we put him in the cage with her he started you know, and so we assumed she was pregnant, well he did it a couple of times and then just stoped and hasnt done it for a couple of weeksbut the other day i saw him getting on her again, i thought thats odd, so i told my husband i think we need to take her out of the cage tomorrow, well it was to late i looked in the cage and she was dead, she was bleeding from her privite, i dont know what happen, if you can help me understand what happen that would great. i miss my little sammy(thats her name):(

Back