Rabbit won't come out of litterbox

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just to update everyone...

Moved the litterbox back to the way we had it before - with the lid on, sitting right in the doorway of the cage.

He goes in and out normally now, so maybe he was just getting used to the new setup.

Still have not gotten a second level put up, but will do that as soon as possible.

After it's all said and done, he should have about 6 sf in the bottom, about 5.5 sf in the top level, and the large litterbox outside the door...

Maverick061106 wrote:
Just to update everyone...

Moved the litterbox back to the way we had it before - with the lid on, sitting right in the doorway of the cage.

He goes in and out normally now, so maybe he was just getting used to the new setup.

Still have not gotten a second level put up, but will do that as soon as possible.

After it's all said and done, he should have about 6 sf in the bottom, about 5.5 sf in the top level, and the large litterbox outside the door...

I think you're doing a great job trying to accommodate him. :)

And I think the space will do. As long as he can stretch out, he'll be fine. The upper level will give him some in-house exercise.

He'll need a lot of free run time, but honestly, a rabbit burrow is a pretty small space!

But a lot depends on the bunny. Does he think of it as home or a prison? My guys will hang out in their pens even when the door is open, especially my Flemish. And his space isn't that much bigger -- 4' x 2 ft I think, but it has a double-wide shelf. He loves it.

I really commend you for making the effort! :highfive:

sas :bunnydance:

Sox wrote:
Is there a possibility he is terrified of the rubber mat, dislikes the rubber smell or doesn't like black?:?:shock2: I bought a black sheep skin cover for Sox and she was absolutely terrified of it would not go near it.

Just saw this, LOL! I have bunnies who refuse to put one paw down on my red kitchen floor. I used to have two of them in the spare room off the kitchen and I never even needed a gate to keep them in. They'd come to the edge of the doorway and streeeeetch out, but not one toe would hit the floor.

If I put a path of newspapers down, though, they'd hop right out.

I appreciate the opinion, elrohwen.

However, I know my bun. If he were cooped up all the time like many pet rabbits, I could see requiring a 4'x4' cage, however, this is not the case. Luca is free to roam the house most of the time. For 4-6 hours each night and 6 hours of the day three days a week, I feel this is adequate for him... If that happens to change, I will revise my cage plans, as I intend on giving Luca a happy healthy life.

I am considering adding a small "playpen" type area in front of the door as well that he can access at all times, if I can figure out what to use as flooring. This would increase his space a good bit as well. Any suggestions anyone? I MUST NOT worry about urine getting on the carpet, so floor must be waterproof/leakproof somehow...just in case of an accident.

Pipp wrote:
But a lot depends on the bunny. Does he think of it as home or a prison? My guys will hang out in their pens even when the door is open, especially my Flemish. And his space isn't that much bigger -- 4' x 2 ft I think, but it has a double-wide shelf. He loves it.

Luca returns to his cage willingly (independently) fairly often - to use the potty and to munch. Rarely, he will even go in to lie down. I have a feeling that our house's carpet is more comfortable to him than the rubber floor in his cage, though ;)

He does not fuss when I put him up for the night. He does know when it's time to come out in the mornings, thoughlol He will tug at the wire door until I open it in the mornings...

And thanks for all the opinions and help, everyone!

Yup, Mike needs his blanket in his pen to lounge on, and when he's out he's on the couch all flopped out. I guess with that body weight they need a forgiving surface!

I think adding a pen would be a fantastic idea! You could always buy a piece of plywood and over it with lino tiles. Or just a piece of chloroplast.

I like to buy vinyl table clothes (the kind with felted backs that you use to protect your table) for under my pen. They don't work for a digger, but for a non-digging bun they provide a nice waterproof surface, some traction, and they protect hardwood floors.

The choroplast idea sounds great to me, but I have had absolutely no luck finding where it might be available in my area... I am in NE Tennessee. Anyone know?

I'd find an old area carpet to protect your regular carpet, and if it gets yucky (and it probably won't if he's the only bunny on it), just throw it out and get another one.

The corroplast is pretty slippery, but you can buy it new at art stores or look for used ones from any business using signs, including McDonalds. Look for art companies who specialize in painting the signs and they might direct you to customers who ordered ones for time-limited events or promotions.

I find that conventions and festivals are good sources.

Latest posts

Back