Rabbit toys

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roberts_rabbits_2008

Reaction score
I was wondering what kinds of toys i could givemy bunnys to play with? I was wondering are the hard plasticballs with the bell in hte inside a gooed idea? Where can iget some rabbit toys? Should i put a salt spool in the bunnyscage? Sorry for all the questions RObert

this is a very good question. i dont have anytoys for angie yet, just some wood chews, some flavored like carrotsand some not flavored. ive given her a toilet paper cardboard roll anda salt lick. also a 'lava bite' mineral chew. she doesnt like any ofthe things i offer her. only likes to chew pants and books.

any ideashow i can tempt her to chew on the toys instead of everything else?

from previous advice i have seen, salt licks go unused and if left in awire cage will just rust the bars. so all i can offer for now (since imin a 'toy rut' now too) is to test lots of different stuff until youfind a kind your bun likes, and not spend a bunch on salt spools. mysalt spool came free with my hay rack, or i wouldnt have one at all.

1) A wooden and cardboard chew toy - The woodenone to keep there teeth short, the card board one so they can chewsomething soft and won't chew anything that they shouldn't. I usuallychuck in a Kitchen roll tube.

2) Baby Keys - these are great, less dangerous than giving an old setof house keys, and they will have hours of fun tossing them around.

3) Rattle Toys - Hutch seems to like these best, anything the can pick up in their mouth and rattle.

4) Treat toy - i have a ball in which put treats in and Hutchhas to roll it to get them out, it's a challenge for her, and she knowsshe gets a reward.

5) Box - if you have got a bsic 1 teir hutch, then you could put in alarge box with holes, so the rabbit can run in an out and bounce up onit, gives a bit of exercise.

Hope this helps?

Hello Robert,

you can make a useful toy out of a Cardboard toilet-paper roll. Stuffit with grasshay and they have a good treat at the same time. I don'tuse salt spools or mineral blocks. That is all provided by a qualitypelleted rabbit feed. Too much salt in a rabbits diet can and oftendoes lead to "Salt Poisoning". So if you are using a salt spool pleasebe sure the rabbit has water 24/7 or there could be catastrophicresults. Most any hard plastic toy will work for a rabbit. Infact theyseem to love to toss their brushes around. Even a tuna can becomes atoy. A bit noisy at times,but none the less a toy. I think that mosteverything to a rabbit is a toy and if you leave it within their reach,it's fair game!

Dennis,C.V.R.

Things my rabbits really love

Cardboard boxes big enough for them to sit inside with two or threewindows or doors cut for them to jump through on different sides. Theylike to do circuits round and through and jump on top, which is reallygood exercise for them, also they can eat it, I leave a couple oftheflaps from the holes I've cut so they're like shutters for them tochew on, and as an added bonus they can move it round their cage ifthey want do housekeeping. :)I always take off any tape orstaples before I give it to them.

Apple branches, they definitely prefer fresh, if you know anyone whohas apple trees ask if you can have a few prunings, they like chewingand tossing around the twigs and branches. Make sure it's apple thoughas some fruit trees are deadly to rabbits.

Empty masking tape or sellotape rolls, they really love these.

Empty toilet rolls, they toss them around a lot but don't chew them so much

Pieces of plain brown paper or plain lining paper, or old telephonebooks. If you fix it to the walls they can rip happily at them, ifthey're loose they can carry them around.

Cheap untreated wicker containers which they eat and throw around

That's all mine have but they seem pretty happy :)

I make sure it doesn't have any special finish orcolouring on it and that it's as 'natural' as possible. They don't eatthat much of it, it seems to be the ripping they enjoy more. I've readin a number of places about giving them old telephone directories, anda lot of people (in UK, I don't know about US) line their rabbithutches with newspaper under the straw. I've never heard of a rabbitcome to harm from it and mine haven't - so far anyway! :)

My buns toys include:

- Cat-nip free cat toys (balls with bells, barrels they can pick up, etc.)

- Paper towel rolls

- Baby toys that are small enough for them to grab onto and throw around.

- Timber Hide-Away....they love to hide.

- Cardboard tunnel to chew on and crawl through

I gave them a couple of the balls with bells inthat are made for cats and toilet paper rolls but they are putting themin the water dishes so it is just getting them all full ofwater? Thanks for all the help Robert

Well i see that most of the bunnies are likeingthe balls with the bells in them and i will be goin to the petstore inSt Cloud either tommorow or the end of the month depending on when mymom has time to take me because Wal Mart dosen't have any hard plasticcat toys besides the balls with bells and the other stuff all has furall over it.

RObert

My rabbit likes a lot ..................telephone wires (I had to replace it twice:)), oh...and mouse wire (replaced it too):D

- paper towels rolls

- pine cons

- newspapers

- wood sticks

......and his favorite toy is ME. He likes to make circles around myfeet and he makes me run with him and after him in the room.

Alexandra

I've always gone the homemade route as far astoys, with the exception of wooden chews, which I buy. My bunnies liketo play with:

- toilet paper and paper towel tubes

- tissue boxes (even better with hay stuffed inside)

- cardboard boxes, of all sizes, to chew and play in

- paper bags

- a towel, more for rearranging than playing with

I did buy one toy at the store, and thats a set of plastic bird links,which Rex likes to pick up and throw around (they make such a coolnoise :D)

~M

Latest posts

Back