Rabbit sitting on one level of cage, should I be concerned?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rmv1983

Reaction score
My buns have a roomy two level CC cage, which is two grids wide and four grids long. The bottom level is two grids high, but lately my buns have been sitting on the top level which is only one grid high. My female will not leave this level, and my male is starting to sit up there with her. I was concerned so added a food dish/second litter box and water bottle to this level. Now they do not leave. At all. :rollseyes

If I put her on the bottom level of the cage, she hops right back up:?

She might just like that level. If she can get up and down by herself, I wouldn't be worried. Might there be something on the bottom level that scares or bothers her?

It might just be she likes it. Is she able to get up and down?

I wonder if maybe there is a smell or something at the bottom that she doesn't like? Maybe a dog or cat or something?

Rabbit's do seem to like to be able to see out though and like to have good vantage points so maybe she is just liking it?

Has her behaviour changed in any other way?

Bo is ALWAYS on his upper level. The only time he comes down is for hay. He LOVES his area to stretch out and look down. I think being "up" is something most of them like for some reason.

My dog does sleep with me at night, and sometimes barks at the buns. But on the top level she is at eye level with my dog when my dog is sleeping on my bed. I know she can get up by herself, but I am not certain she can get down. They do not have a ramp. They have to jump the height of a cube to get to the top level. I made a little shelf that leads to the top, and it is a second jump to the top. My male does it without problems.

Frida and Benjamin like to be up high--they sit on a suitcase that I left on the floor once (it now cannot be moved because it is their perch) almost all day long. Tony likes the 3rd level of his NIC condo too and will sit there (or the 2nd) most of the time. I think they like having a good view because they're so curious about everything and (from a prey standpoint) it allows them to keep an eye on their surroundings. Muffin likes the ground and always has. :dunno

edit: Saw your reply. Sounds like they want to keep an eye on the dog. If you know they can get up and down without problems, no worries. Jen (mom of Mouse, Chalk, Barney and Snowy, I forget her sn right now, something like Mouse_Chalk?) has made some half-height NIC panel steps in one of her cages to help them move around easier. I used to do ramps because of Muffin, but they got in the way and she prefers just to jump when she does want to go up.

LOL - I thought I was the only one who "gave up" stuff if the bunnies like it.......

I want to get rid of the loveseat in their room...... but Bo LOVES his loveseat..... :expressionless

OH YEAH! Bo has fleece blankies and that's where he stays... and if I give him an extra one (he has a big one along the whole level and he leaves it alone) to fluff and snuggle in - he'll push it to his litterbox below so he has it down there..... and then he poos on it :X

Maybe entice them down with a bit of carrot or craisin! They'd probably come down for one of those! hehe.
Also, maybe if you took the litter box and food dish down, then they wouldn't stay up there all the time, since there things would be on the 1st level?

Could you take a picture of it for us?
Emily

Back