Rabbit Peeing! Please help!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Prizm

Reaction score
Please help! Our rabbit is urinating and leaving droppings in large piles on our couch!!!
When he pees, it's like a full bowl of water (I can't believe so muchliquid could be inside such a small animal.) He is using his litter boxwhile in his cage, but when in the living room, he doesn't even botherwith corners. He just goes where ever he happens to be.

I should mention, he is getting along wonderfully with out cat, Lianid.Already they are grooming eachother and...Dusty is HUMPINGLianid!The cat was confused at first, but now they seem to beintimate friends, and they actually take turns grooming eachother!

I'm mentioning this because Dusty peed on the couch the first timewhile cuddling with the cat. I thought it was the sweetest thing in theworld, until he got up leaving a pile and a soaked cushion. Later, heleft the same combination on our second couch. Only he did it thesecond timewithout the cat's presence.

I've dumped most of his droppings into his litterbox, (and added somemore alphalfa and litter) and I have him locked up in there now. Whatcan we do?? He uses his box, but he doesn't discriminate between it andthe couch and the top of his cage (which he learned to leap onto) andeven around the cat's water bowl, which he enjoys drinking from!

Could he have left-over hormones from before he was nutered? He circlesLianid before climbing on. Do you think the urinating is the same asspraying, or is he not litter-trainable?

I really don't have any advice to give (sorry) asI am having litterbox issues with my bun too! Just wanted tosay welcome and good luck with everything! Tracy

how long ago was he neutered? It can take acoupleof months to reduce the hormone levels. and also somebuns just naturally are more aggressive and or dominate.Humping also indacates dominance issues as well. As forpeeing everywhere sounds like he doesn't care when he is out, and nowthe couch has his smell he'll keep using it to potty. How old is he?even though he is neutered they still go through a "teen phase" wherethey misbehave and act out. Some are worse than others, itall depends on the bun. I would try confining himto an area with a litter box, Like making a play pen for him to be inwith his box, and not letting him more free range till he realiziesbeing out means using the box. And when you have him outwatching him like a hawk, if you see him doing the but stick out peestance you can move him to the litter box...... I'm have more to saybut I am tired and have had a long morning already, best ofluck

Gabby wrote:
howlong ago was he neutered? It can take a coupleof months to reduce thehormone levels. and also some buns just naturallyare more aggressive and or dominate. Humping also indacates dominanceissues as well. As for peeing everywhere sounds like hedoesn't care when he is out, and now the couch has his smell he'll keepusing it to potty. How old is he? even though he is neutered theystill go through a "teen phase" where they misbehave and actout. Some are worse than others, it all depends on thebun. I would try confining him to an area with alitter box, Like making a play pen for him to be in with his box, andnot letting him more free range till he realizies being out means usingthe box. And when you have him out watching him like a hawk,if you see him doing the but stick out pee stance you can move him tothe litter box...... I'm have more to say but I am tired and have had along morning already, best of luck
NO WAY?!?! Bo is never naughty......... ;)

He was nutered just last week. (Do you think he'sjust territory-marking?) He poops in AND outside of his box too (whilehe's in his cage.) It sounds like a good idea to make a play pen forhim before giving him the house, only I don't know where a play penwould go. The hallway is the only open area free of furniture and sincehe doesn't like to play with people, I think he'd just be bord and justlay there. When he has run of the living room, he's either chasing ourcat Lianid, or lazying in a corner (or peeing on the couch.)

Thanks for the welcome, Tracy!:)

(Heheh and, lol, should I believe Bo?) :)

poops are not generally a concern asthey clean up easy, generally even the most devote litter box user doessome poops outside he box. But the pee is an issue.. he could beterritory marking, he could be plub lazy and not want to go back to thebox. And since he was only neutered a week ago he hs plenty of time toloose those hormones. And depending on age, plenty of time toenter those terrible teens LOL teenage boys are terrible :pLOL Sometimes when they have to much house to run around infree they will loose potty habits. Thats why making a playpen can help bring them back to the box, slowlyincrease his free roaming areaas a reward for his goodbehavior. And also there may have been a smell on the couchthat led him to believe it was a potty place... their minds work inmysterious ways LOL

And make very sure one you establish a litter box spot that you want tokeep that box there forever LOL I recall when i moved myfurniature around in the lvrm I'd had a litter box under an end tble ofmine, gave them privacy and it was ou of the way.... well silly memoved the box, because had to rrearange some thingsand there is gabs hopping about the lvrm, she goes sailing accross thefloor takes a jump like she always did to go sailing into the box, andlands on the floor.... one bewildered bunny.. she looked about didn'tsee the box so she peed on the floor....:shock:

Back