rabbit isnt eating pellets after 48 hrs (spay)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tiabia0

Reaction score
i'm not sure what to do. she was spayed 2 days ago. she's been eating dandelion, peach and hay. she's also been drinking water. anything i can do?

You can make a pellet slurry and syringe it to her, that would be the best thing at this point. Grind up some pellets and mix with some water and put in a syringe.

At least she is eating other things, that is good.

I'm sure others will be along with more advise.;) Good Luck!

As long as she is drinking and eating dandelions and hay, then she will be ok I think.

You don't have to syringe feed her - the goal is that she keeps eating. If you make the slurry, just leave it in a bowl - warm it up a tiny bit in the microwave to make it smell a bit more appealing. You can also try making it with some apple juice or pumpkin to make it a bit more yummy, but if she is eating and pooping, then don't worry too mcuh - she will come around I think. You only need to syringe feed her if she was eating absolutely nothing at all.

Nadia

Well, she is not interested in pellets even when they're mooched up and mixed with water. We also tried giving her baby food. She had a little more peach and dandelion. She's hydrated so it's alright.

She'll be ok - careful not to feed her too mcuh peach as it's still a treat and although sometimes you just want to make sure they're eating *something*, too much sugar isn't good if she's not esting much of anything else.

Just keep feeding her what she's eating and she will come around.

When my guys go off their food, the last thing they start to eat is their pellets. They usually rather parsley, cilantro, dandelions etc. and then when they start feeling much better, they go back to the pellets. Just as long as she is drinking and snacking on veggies, you're doing good.

;)

Nadia

My girls did the same thing, they started with hay dipped in water and veggies, and then a few days after their spay (I think it was3 for Pebbles and 4 for Poppy) they started munching on their pellets again. By the end of the week they were back to their normal pellet loving selves! :).

As long as she's eating hay and veggies and pooping decently, it's ok if she goes a few days without eating her pellets.

i tried putting some pumpkin on Belle's veggies, i would take a piece of romaine and put a little pumpkin on it or a sprig of parsley and put a litle pumpkin on it and she would take it. now this was the first time that she was having pumpkin so i think it was a new thing but whatever worked i was going to try. does she like pumpkin where you could try something like that. i was paranoid too , i never thought i would be so happy to see poop in my life but everymorning i would go straight to her cage and check, lol

i dont remember seeing in another post but did you get any pain meds for her? maybe she isnt eating because she is in pain?

i know how you feel and i hope she gets back to normal real soon for you. this is for your baby:kiss:, and the hugis for you mama:hug:hope she gets better soon

Like Spring and Honeypot said, it's okay as long as she's eating other foods. Sometimes they get a bit of SBS- Spoiled Bunny Syndrome- after surgery. Just keep her eating hay and veggies, and be careful about giving her too much fruit. You don't want to upset her stomach.

If I remember right, all three of my girls took a few days to be interested in pellets again after their spays. I don't think it's too unusual.

Alright, well today Cinnabun ate some romaine, I'm so happy! She is still eating hay and I'm going to give her more dandelion soon. I let her walk around a little last night and today. She still doesn't want her pellets but was actually sniffing around eating a couple hay pieces from the bowl last night. And no, I never got meds. We discussed it with the vet and really, I don't think she needed them.

In her cage I've had the hut against a wall so she could jump on that then the top level but since she's gotten spayed I took the hut out but this morning I woke up and she was on the top level! :shock:I put the hut back in her cage and she's happy about it. Her incision looks good so she is doing fine jumping a little.

She's back to her old happy self but just needs pellets! :biggrin2: I called the humane society to set up an appointment for my 5 year old dutch so she's next!

Great news, congrats! Hopefully she will go back on her pellets soon. Maybe putting a little bit of oats in there will entice her to eat the pellets?

As for your 5 yr old dutch, make sure you ask about pre-op blood work. That would be good to have for an older bunny like that. And insist on pain meds after the surgery! A lot of vets claim that the shot they give the bunny is enough, and its not. Especially for the girls, they have a lot of pain the first few days.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Cinnabun ate romaine today!!! The only thing she needs to eat is pellets. I'm going to try a little oats since we still have some. But a lot of her poop is together like pearls... now what?

As for my 5 year old, our vet is doing the blood work first!

This kind of poop is called "fecal pellets"! It is something like half-digested food and bunnies usually eat them right from their bottom! It is okay if they leave some once in a while but if she leaves a lot maybe you should check it with a vet! As for the pellets, maybe you could try to mix some soaked in water pellets in finely cut dandelions, or in the peach! This way she may not even know she is eating it!

Latest posts

Back