Rabbit hooting.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michellexgix

Reaction score
I have a 14monthish old rabbit named Cooper, hes very small and weighs about 1.22kg but I dont know what breeding is in him. I have him since he was 6months old.

Anyhow, when hes out running about my room I notice a wierd noice coming fromhim, I never noticed it in the cage just when hes out.

I came across info about heart problems in guineapigs and there was a video of a guinea pig ''hooting'' which indicates a heart problem. This sound is very similar to the one Cooper makes when running about.

He went to the vet yesterday for a checkup and I mentioned the noice but she everything sounded fine. But now Im worried. Hes ment to get neutered very soon hense the vet check up.

I do know rabbits and guinea pigs are different animals and that but it has me worried.

I'll try and record the noice tonight to share it with you.

Anyone know anything about it and is hooting a sign of a heart problem for rabbits?

Does he run around your feet or binky a lot when doing it? Bunnies can make quite a few noises. Not nearly as much as guinea pigs, but some noises. My girl hums a lot when she is out. She also honks and grunts. She's quite vocal. Yep, if you can,a video might be really useful.

No its generally when hes hopping about and exploring the place..
She just rang and the three are booked in for tomorrow, Im unsure will I do him noe :/

Is he neutered? It sounds a bit like the "love dance" some male bunnies do around their mates when very happy. I have a neutered male who does this at pellet time too. It is good that you are getting it checked out because it could be indicative of a breathing or heart problem--but then I would expect it when he sits down after running around as well, until he catches his breath so to say.

The vet should be able to detect any irregularities in breathing or heartbeat during the exam. If he does it tonight, take a video or sound recording to show to the vet. I have a bunny that sneezes/coughs and the vet wants a video of it to make a clear diagnosis--I would call it a sneeze, but they call it a cough (the one vet that did see it happen).

Well he was doing it, so I brought him in to another room and he stopped doing it, maybe as he was frightened?
Then put him back on the floor but he wasnt doing it :p

I youtubed the love dance one and it does sound like that, he does it for long periods of time though.

No hes not neutered, hes getting neutered tomorrow :/
The vet exam was only yesterday and she said he was good. But took note of it and will keep an extra eye when monitoring his breathing trueout the op.

My girl Maybelle, does the love dance a lot. She does the typical running around the feet but also makes that same sort of humming as she explores around happily. I´m glad you noticed it though in case it does turn out to be something else. Best of luck with his neuter and I hope the noise is nothing :)

Latest posts

Back