Rabbit fur plug with black tip?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lillianad

Reaction score
Sometimes I pick at Spooner's fur if I see a loose bit and today I saw one by his mouth so I picked it and it had a black end!

Is this something to be worried about?

IMG_1421.jpg

Usually the ones by their cheeks are from secretions from the glands, that have hardened and come loose when the fur sheds, though the ones I've seen are usually a yellowish or amber color. Fur plugs can also happen when they have a scab that comes off. Usually nothing to worry about. Now if he has an open sore there, then that might be something to have your vet check over.

What JBun said. Also if you start to see LOTS of those, it can be a sign of a skin infection and time for a vet visit (generally, though, it's nothing).

What JBun said. Also if you start to see LOTS of those, it can be a sign of a skin infection and time for a vet visit (generally, though, it's nothing).

I agree. We had a rabbit who was sick, had just recovered from a minor surgical procedure, and then started having those on his face. Turns out it was a skin infection which was cleared up with some antibiotics.

Latest posts

Back